Big rig question.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by walterk, Sep 22, 2017.

1. I need help with getting some questions answered from a few of you left that run big rigs !!!!!!!!
    Can I run a 316" wheelbase truck with a 48 foot stepdeck in Ontario? What about the rest of Canada? The overall length is clear but the difficult part is the wheelbase of the trailer. Will all trailers comply or just some with this wheelbase requirement. Some stepdecks have some limits when it comes to the rear wheels and their movement. I know you can move the fifth-wheel a bit but still.....Do you get stopped by MTO for no reason? "O! It looked big, so a wanted to check it out." - kind of attitude. Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    max 282 without a permit in ontario

4. I know that to have a SPIF designation you can't go over 282" but what If don't want my equipment to comply with SPIF. I will accept the weight reduction - I don't think it is that much anyways. And, I don't think you need a permit as long as your trailer/truck setup is within the legal dimensions for non-SPIF designation - And that is where the trailer wheelbase come to play.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    doesn't spif only have to do with lift/steer axles?

i just recently heard about them, heh.. i assume you're running a 48' tri?

EDIT, never mind i just learned something

6. SPIF has to do with almost everything regarding dimensions here in Ontario.

orcen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.