big troubles with a big cam

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by fmrbydaytkrbynight, Apr 27, 2007.

1. fmrbydaytkrbynight

fmrbydaytkrbynight Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Texas
    can anyone tell me how I have oil in my radiator, and antifreeze in my crankcase of my cummins big cam 400? Please advize.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
  4. fmrbydaytkrbynight

Apr 27, 2007
    Texas
    I would think the head gasket would alow compression in the radiator or water in the cylinder. I was wondering about maybe the oil cooler, but I have never had any experience like this or with an oil cooler

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Does the bigcam Cummins have an oil cooler inside the radiator?

6. fmrbydaytkrbynight

Apr 27, 2007
    Texas
    no oil cooler in the radiator, just on the side of the engine kinda right under the turbo

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

It doesn't take very much oil to contaminate the coolant, and if you have some blowby or leaking around the rings, you could easily have a head gasket going and contribute to this. One way or another, you need to get inside that engine before something more gets damaged. Coolant in the oil system can cause bearing problems, and if you spin a bearing because the lube breaks down, you can easily kiss a crankshaft goodbye, or even damage the block to the point where major costs are going to come up. Either get into it yourself if you have the ability, or get it into a shop before it becomes a major problem.

8. fmrbydaytkrbynight

Apr 27, 2007
    Texas
    thanks, burky. What do you think i should do first, pull the pan off and fill the radiator with water to see where the water is coming from or just start pulling the heads?

9. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    you are going to attempt this yourself?

K

10. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

The odds are that simply filling the radiator with coolant is not going to show you anything. Almost certainly, the engine is only doing this under pressure. I highly doubt that there is a hole large enough that it would allow the fluid to simply run out without the engine being up to it's running (expanded) temp, and flow and pressure being built up on the cooling system. If you have the experience and the tools available, then I would first try the cylinder heads for a head gasket leak, but remember that if that is all it is, then you still have to get the valve settings and other overhead settings done right to reassemble the engine. You might ask around and find someone with familiarity on those engines before doing it yourself. Since it looks like you are involved with farming, let me point out that lots of Steigers and Versatiles used those engines and mechanics familiar with those tractors would be familiar with your engine. might be able to get a mech to look at it on an evening or weekend.

11. fmrbydaytkrbynight

Apr 27, 2007
    Texas
    Ihear what you are sayin, I've been letting a local mech work on this old truck since last october. first i was getting water in the pan and he pulled the heads found injector tube corroded through, so we put new injector tubes, injectors, and did a valve job. i took the truck out and made a couple of loads, found water in the oil again, this time he pulled the pan and said he found where i had a sleeve leaking, so i put 1 new sleeve and piston in. i tried it out on just a short road test, and it seemed to be ok. the trucks been parked until the other day i just wanted to drive it down the road a little, you know air the cob webs out, the darn thing was trying to get hot, about 220 f. so i thought it might be a thermostat sticking so i parked the truck. the ne xt day i checked the oil it was milky, i checked the water it was milky. this is a long story about a truck that i just use to haul corn with about two months out of the year and its driving me nuts that this guy can't seem to get to the crux of the problem. this is the first time i have ever found much oil in the cooling system, though. i can't figure out if this mech just don't hasve the know how, or if he is just making a living off of me, or if these problems could be happening coincidentally in orderly fashion. thanks for listening.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.