Biggest Problem I'm having as a new driver.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by CP1995, Dec 14, 2017.

1. CP1995

CP1995 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    New driver been out of training for about a month now, biggest issue im having is being scared to drive past 7PM, as a bulk driver I'm not allowed to park on on/off ramps per SNBC policy so after those hours finding a place park you can basically forget about it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Just wait till the elog mandate, truck stops will be packed by 2pm

4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    What happens at 7 pm that makes you scared to drive?

5. CP1995

CP1995 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Nothing really just I know truck stops/rest areas fill up by then.

6. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    solar powered driver

7. CP1995

CP1995 Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2017
    If that was the case being that its daylight savings time I would've said 4pm, unfortunately it isn't.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    My ways of dealing with the same worries:
    Try and start my day really early (3:00 am or so)
    Plan trip with various searches of truck stops along the route, giving me options of when and where to stop for 10hour reset.
    Start looking for place to stop BEFORE the eleventh hour so there's no stress

It will get easier as you go. Good luck!

9. truckguy391

truckguy391 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Around
    You can find parking but it’s gonna be spots that are harder to get into. Don’t be afraid. Night time backing takes practice but just remember to get out and look. Better to get out and look 20 times versus put one scratch on the peterbilt 379 next to you.
    I had the same problem my first month or two on the road (former pumpkin van hauled myself). I was afraid to back at night or in crowded spaces because I didn’t want to be laughed at for taking too long. Soon I gained confidence and overcame the fear. What worked for me was venturing outside my comfort zone. I’d start looking for places that WEREN’T big name truck stops. A lot of times I’d find a spot in no time and get a good nights sleep. Also use the trucker path app. Lots of good places on there. Still, my favorite tool is the pocket truckstop guide. It might be old school but hey it works.
    Another thing I did was I’d try to run from 3am-3pm give or take a few hours and it worked for me. Not always possible though. Sometimes I’d end up running 11am-11pm or something crazy depending on the load or whatever.
    Just be patient, be willing to try new things and be safe out there. It’ll all come together and it’s just part of the learning process

10. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    I don't start quite that early but that is the answer. Start early shut down early. Don't hang around in the am get up and go. Good luck new driver you'll soon get a rythym and it will all come together for you.

Just passing by and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  11. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    We can’t help u with your fears. Just man up. You can do it.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.