Bike rack 4 big truck?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by skyking, Feb 3, 2007.

1. skyking

skyking Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Texas
    Does anyone know how to mount a bike rack to the catwalk of a big truck? I've seen a couple of racks going down the road that look pretty professional, but you can't always get a good look in traffic/weather. I haven't been able to find a company like thule or yakima who even want to talk about developing the mounting hardware. I can always try to find a fabricator to assist, but it sure would be handy to have a proven design to work from. Thanks

2. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    i have neve seen this, but i have seen a big rig or two going down the road with motorcycles mounted back there. that would have to be a customer fabricated job though.

in your case, probably an "ordinary" bike rack, or maybe the type you see that mount into a class 3 reciever hitch (?) behind an SUV or pick-up truck, then have it welded to the frame rails

here might be some for you.

http://www.etrailer.com/c-BR.htm?Affiliate=google&gclid=CNPchMrok4oCFRMzgQod8hs9hA

3. buck and a half

buck and a half <strong>Mr. Miles & Miles with Many Smiles</strong

Aug 11, 2006
    madison,me
    Charly Daniels,country singer was the first one I have seen years ago do that. he had a custom harley on his Peterbuilt mounted on the back and unloaded it in a few minutes. When my kids were growing up he did the cape cod state fair and was there every year,what a show he put on,real person all the way. My grown up kids still talk about those days,they never forgot his show there.

4. Bittersweet88

Bittersweet88 Bobtail Member

Feb 18, 2007
    i was just wondering about this today! i'd love to take my bike with me. often times you park somewhere, but then spend a fortune trying to get to a theater, mall, or just tour around. and if you're lucky enough to have a day or two down-time and the weather's nice, you could combine exercise and sightseeing!

5. Chillwag

Chillwag Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Vancouver, Wa
  6. stylicho

stylicho Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I used to carry a bike in the cab of my truck when I first started but it became too much of a hassle. I wanted to find something to hook up to the back of the cab but I also heard that somebody destroyed his bike on the back by turning too sharp. So I dont know.

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    I thought about strapping a bike to to the back of the cab once, but I just figured it would be covered with road grime every time I wanted to ride it. That and it would be a pain to mess with whenever I wanted to use it.

8. Dakinesauce

Dakinesauce Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Salt lake city, ut
    Skyking,
    If you have room under your bed, you may be able to remove the front wheel of you bike and place it under there. I had my bike with me all summer on my Pete because the was plenty of room for it under the bed. Now that I have an international, I like the idea of buying a normal bike rack and bolting it onto the catwalk. Good luck!

9. 'olhand

'olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Just to clarify--and Charlie is a GREAT guy--but the truck you are talking about belong to Sid Yochem out of nashville--at one time Sid had quite a few rigs--all doing music--they were wrapped for the tour they were on--but as long as CDB tours were that big(like back then)Sid always did them--and the black 359 stayed with CDB--and the Harley on the back belonged to Jackie Williams--who was CDB's who handled mixing stage monitors--and later was CDB's stage manager---but Charlie didn't ride--at least back then--don't know about now--but I doubt that has changed...
    Brings back some great--but foggy memories--

10. BG-42-00

BG-42-00 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Lyons,IL
    guys any ideas how to put a piaggio mp3 on a semi with dry van trailer?

• Draft saved Draft deleted