Bill of lading says +24, continuous run, or not?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Veteran driver, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Brdhntr

Brdhntr Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Minnesota
    When it's on continuous only the engine runs constantly. The cooling or heating still cycles according to need.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Your reefer is like a big fridge or freezer so yes you can run it on either, the key being that the produce must remain frozen till it gets to the delivery point and if the receivers are vigilant they will do a temp check when they unload so that's the key here delivering it on time and at the right temp. Personally i'd leave it on continuous run but that's just my own preference, i just couldn't sleep with the thing starting and stopping all the time.However if your O/O setting it to stop start will save you a few bucks on diesel.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    It circulates air continuously making the temp more uniform through out the load.

PE_T, Farmerbob1 and Brdhntr Thank this.
  6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Where are you ?

If you are in the extreme cold like most of the country right now continuous loaded or empty. They are no fun when they freeze up in the extreme cold.

Chickens I'd run continuous anyway but thats just me..

Did you call the shipper and ask them ?

7. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    What is more costly? a bunch of fuel or the whole load being rejected?

PE_T, Farmerbob1 and Tall Mike Thank this.
  8. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    or road service to get one running again ?

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    True, but the logic also changes the amount of temperature differential it will allow between the incoming and outgoing air [once it gets near the set point]. This is primarily designed to keep it from blowing sub-freezing air onto sensitive product while trying to maintain, say 36 degrees. Also, in Continuous Mode, it virtually eliminates all temp range tolerance like you'll see in cycle. Also in Continuous Mode, It becomes very careful about how it regulates the temp and makes sure not to blow air that might freeze exterior product that might be very sensitive to freezing

Farmerbob1 and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Like I said more uniform

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Okay. Uniformity is one thing but some are more concerned with never introducing sub-freezing air into the box. Continuous [above 32 F set point] does both.

Cycle is happy to introduce 26 degree air into the box for 5 minutes with a 34 set point.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  12. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I picked up my first frozen load in my new TK reefer last Sunday. Ran it for 3 days at continuous -10 and it only used 10 gallons of fuel the entire time. I was amazed. The last place I worked, I ran a frozen load in a 8 year old trailer with a TK and it used like 8 gallons a night.

KB3MMX, x1Heavy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  13. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    It is my understanding that trailer flexing reduces trailer insulation levels over time. Compressors also degrade over time.

An older unit has to move more heat with a less efficient compressor, even if the design of trailer and compressor are exactly the same.

KB3MMX and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs