Bipartisan Truck Speed Limiter Bill Introduced In House

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Eddiec, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    But you're not really dodging IFTA, you're still burning the same amount of fuel and that's where you pay your taxes. Don't fill out a logbook and you're not falsifying anything, my experience that's a simple 250 dollar fine and an unplanned 10 hour break.

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Ifta reporting has to do with miles in a state if i remember correctly, while yes your reporting would obviously be proportional, and therefore not actually matter in any real practical terms, why do dot auditors get so anal about exact mileage logged in each state etc?

4. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Because making mountains out of molehills is their entire job? What are they going to charge you with exactly if your speedometer/odometer is off 10%? They can't prove defrauding IFTA as it's all based on your fuel mileage to calculate exactly how many gallons you burned in each state to fairly disburse money out of the highway fund, or some such. They maybe could try saying you're falsifying logs, don't put how many miles you drive every day in your log and it's now simply a "form and manner" or some bs violation. If you're to the point of doing any of this some log book violations arent going to bother you too much. I'd like to know what exactly the punishment will be for failing to obey this arbitrary nonsense.

5. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    The same punishment you get for disagreeing with any of the REST of the regulatory bs? Ie, IF they decide to audit you, and IF they find out revoke your authority and then you need millions of dollars to fight it and will lose....

Welcome to the modern world, its run by beurocrats that have no idea what theyre doing and you dont have the money to change their minds

6. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    You likely don't want to hear my response for that particular situation.

7. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Im going to hazard a guess that while i might not mind hearing your response in person i doubt the wisdom of saying it on the internet :p

Im not unsympathetic to the thoughts obviously, but i beleive the action neccesary to rectify the situation may not be conducive to life liberty and the ability to pursue happiness

8. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Let's just say the premise of what I think is "this is why there should be no licensing of anything, full stop."

9. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Ah, excellent, micheal malice wrote a handbook about that point of view recently, cant say i disagree much :p

10. Rubber duck kw

Dec 9, 2017
    Always thought that way a little bit, the last year or so has really solidified that thought.

11. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    The simple answer is, It doesn't work like that.
    Actual speed is a different thing. What matters is what the computer says.
    It depends on where the speed is taken from, ex, abs sensor.
    There will be a clause that states some arbitrary number like 10mph over the arbitrary number and it will be assumed that the limiter is not set.
    Also I think this would be a State mandate not a federal 1.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.