Bit torn on what i want to do? keep my RR donnelley run or go OTR

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by IMSAkid, Aug 16, 2011.

1. IMSAkid

IMSAkid Light Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Downingtown pa
    Hey guys been a while since I've been on been really busy with work.. Well if some of you remember i finished my training with Werner and was given a nice local RR donnelley run. The thing is oddley enough i dont like the run I love driving the truck but the run it just way to repetitive to me. I dont find it fun at all (i know its a job and its not supposed to be fun) But when i was running OTR with my trainer I had a blast, It was something new every day and i was having a great time driving, I loved being out west and frankly I'm not all to worried about the fact that id be on a lesser pay scale going OTR I'm 23 no kids no wife my car is all paid off and i don't have very many expenses, I'm thankful they gave me a good run off the trainer truck by in truth my heart really isant into it.. i talked to my trainer the other day and he said its very hard to drive when you dont like your run and i hate running jersey every day with a passion knowing where I'm going every day constant supervision from my dispatcher, Heavy as hell loads. Also i dont think other OTR company's will see this run as getting experience for a future job. I see trucking as not only a job but a fun hobby i just dont like the fact that i dont get to run the country with it.. what do you all think i should do.. i trust this places opinion as you guys have never steered me wrong in the past.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roadkill4512

roadkill4512 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2008
    Lancaster,PA
    When I read your post it seems you've already made your decision to go to OTR and just need confirmation from someone else. Hate Jersey? I don't blame you, Jersey sucks. Don't like repetitive runs? I can understand, it can get very boring. Need adventure and everchanging scenery? I can relate.

So there you have it confirmation,affirmation and permission to make the switch so make your desire known to whom it may concern in Werner and quit wasting your time posting about this to us we can't make the transfer for you.

4. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    You haven't been on that very long right?

I would stick at least 3 months maybe 6 so long as it was OK money and equipment wise. Yeah Jersey blows, however showing a commitment of a few months and then talking to dispatch shows you gave it an honest shot and dedicated is just not for you.

With little driving work history quick moves raise red flags both within a company and without when/if you go elsewhere.

Job hopping can occur within a company just as easy as it can with several companies.

5. bubbavirus

bubbavirus Medium Load Member

I drive the same 5 miles, 80 miles a day for the last five years- and it is an airport. Trade?

6. IMSAkid

May 9, 2011
    Downingtown pa
    Well i went a head and talked to my dispatcher today. I said to him i dont want it to seem like im jumping between jobs or anything but my heart really isant into this RR Donnelley run. He said he completley understands and he is going to see about putting me on a dedicated Donnelley long haul run. When i told him i was only 23 he than began to understand where i was coming from and he said he has no problem with me switching. he also likes that I'm willing to stick it out until he finds a replacement. I really cant wait. the pay isant going to be as good but I'm not really all that worried about it.

7. roadkill4512

roadkill4512 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2008
    Lancaster,PA
    Good for you kid. I applaud you for following your desire for job satisfaction over a bigger paycheck.

I'm no longer OTR and I miss it. I enjoyed touring Chicago, going to ball games at Wrigley, touring the Rock and Roll HOF in Cleveland, visiting relatives in Atlanta and playing tourist in New Orleans. And there's this honey in Baton Rouge and a sweet little Korean girl in Oklahoma City that are awaiting my next visit..............

..........Oh yeah we're talking bout you......:biggrin_25517:

8. IMSAkid

May 9, 2011
    Downingtown pa

Yup I just gave my travel agent my notice today.. he said he knew it was going to happen sooner or later since im a younger guy but as i said The pay checks i get now are good for a rookie but what I'm doing right now is not OTR experience that better company's want. the dispatcher said do you really want to give up these paychecks your getting and home time to go OTR and i said its really not 100% about the money with me and i love going places:)

9. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Glad it worked out for you. Never thought a bigger company would be willing to work with you on it, improves my opinion of them.............................

Slightly :biggrin_25523:

dirtyrabbit Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.