Blew a steer tire the other day.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Wicked Wizard, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Hours

Hours Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    Makes one wonder how many people actually panic in these situations?

flood Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    I second that. :yes2557:

Double ThanX Lepton1 :salute: :salute:

One for posting the link to the video and
    One for reminding me of Benny Parsons, one of NASCAR's legends. I miss ol' Benny, --- and the way NASCAR was before The Brian (France) took it from a sport to "entertainment" and made it "big business."
    But, ...... I digress, -----

I've seen that video many times and I think EVERYbody should be familiar with the information Benny provides in it. Every time I see it I'm reminded of how many Big truck truck drivers, --- especially those who drive for the mega fleets, and any company that governs their Big trucks for any reason, are pushin' their luck daily. The two reasons for governing that I hear most often are, -----
    1. Saving money on fuel, (assuming driving at a reduced speed results in better fuel mileage.)

2. "Safety" --- (assuming reducing speed is always safer.)

I often hear, "Speed Kills" ---
    But that's NoT true. :biggrin_25512:

If it were true, how is it possible to set land-speed records and live to brag about it? Or flying faster than the speed of sound, ..... and surviving the experience, if "speed" kills? :dontknow:
    Obviously it ain't the speed that kills. :biggrin_25513:
    What it IS that kills is
    the sudden stop. :stop: :biggrin_25521:

So, .... when we're told governing a Big truck to, .... oh, say 62 ---> 65 mph is in the interest of "safety," --- I say bovine excrement. In fact, I think the opposite is true.
    WhY?
    I'm glad y'all asked.

What did we learn from Benny about what the proper way to maintain control when a steer tire suddenly pops?
    First thing?
    HAMMER DOWN, right?

How can a driver do that when they have the pedal to the metal just to maintain a governed speed of 62 ---> 65 mph, runnin' bumped up against the governor, --- that's all shes got?
    Of course the answer is, "they can't."
    So, I have to ask, how is governing a Big truck making it "safer"?

Unless the driver holds their speed to
    57 ---> 60 mph, or less in a Big truck governed for 62 ---> 65 mph there's no way to hammer down if a steer tire goes PoP. They're just along for the ride and a danger to anyone driving in the vicinity.

If a popped steer tire causes a loss of control because there's no more go remaining under a driver's right foot to bring 'er under control in a "safer" manner, how would the truckin' company view that? How 'bout the insurance carrier?

Would they likely say, ..............
    A. Due to our mandate for restricting your speed, leaving you no chance to do the correct thing to maintain control in such a situation, we have determined your crash which, unfortunately. involved other motorists, --- some seriously injured, --- was non-preventable on your part, and a bone-headed idea from the company management/insurance carrier/office desk drivers.
    ?
    Or, ............
    B. ALL accidents are preventable and it's the professional Big truck truck driver's responsibility to avoid crashing at any time for any reason. We make rules to help y'all be "safe" drivers. We can't hold your hand and drive the Big truck for y'all, 'cause we're too busy makin' rules and catchy slogans concerning "safety". Stuff easy to understand and remember, ..... like, .......
    "Speed Kills," --- and my favorite, ---

"Safety Is No Accident."

We have no choice here, ---
    We have to terminate your employment with this "safety minded" Big truck truckin' company, and ding your DAC.
    This industry doesn't want unsafe drivers. :biggrin_25512:

OK, .............
    Which one did y'all pick as the more likely response?
    A or B?

YeaH, That's what I was thinkin' too. :evil3: :roll:

ThanX for postin' your adventure Wicked Wizard. I'm sure glad you kept your composure during the ordeal.
    Ya done good, driver. :yes2557: :thumbright::thumbleft: :thumbup:

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    you know that newer truck have this funny thing under the front call AIR RIDE and POWER STEERING....

with NEWER trucks their is ZERO reason to floor it and go faster to keep control. as long as you don't do something stupid like hit the breaks it is EZ to just one handed pull it over to the side of the road

btw AfterShock if your theory were true then every time a governed truck had a steer blow they would wreck.....

stillwurkin, AfterShock and Hours Thank this.
  5. Hours

Hours Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Aiken, SC
    I only had one steer tire blowout in my multi decade career and it was in a max gross late model rig - no drama at all - just use common sense.

AfterShock and flood Thank this.
  6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Even though the need to accelerate is of less importance in newer rigs, it would still be nice to have the ability to do so, without also having to drive at speeds EVEN FURTHER below the speed limits than the truck is already governed to.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    The only thing is, I keep seeing these videos of modern trucks blowing a steer, hitting the brakes, and losing control...

Grubby Thanks this.
  8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    right.. like I said not a big deal if you don't go and BE STUPID and hit the breaks. in all the video's they don't show the driver LIGHTLY hitting the breaks, they hit the breaks HARD well DUH..!!

I've had it happen 2 times, I know more than 18 drivers that have had it happen. they all said the same thing.... not that big a deal

swervyjoe, AfterShock and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. jamin22

jamin22 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Blew one about 4 years ago with 10,000 gallons of gasoline in my tanker at 75mph

Having my tag axle down being I was loaded made it impossible to steer. To those acting like it’s no big deal if both hands are on the wheel, not true at all with pushers down

I went into the ditch and was able to come to stop still upright. Very happy to be alive. If I would’ve rolled, prolly would have burned alive

Grubby, AfterShock and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    I had my truck kill on me going down an exit ramp.

Obviously it took away the power steering and sent me into oncoming traffic on the entrance side.

I was so pissed because I had already written that truck up for that and they said they fixed it.

Pos truck and a pos shop.

AfterShock and QuietStorm Thank this.
  11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I’m still waiting for the op to say what brand of tire it was ...... o_O

AfterShock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.