Blinkers/Hazards Not Working?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by IROCUBabe, Jan 7, 2010.

1. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    Got a weird one, we have a blinker issue. Neither right nor left blinker, nor hazards, are working. It is not a fuse issue, checked both flasher, and blinker fuses.

SOMETIMES they do work, majority of time they do not. Sometimes they flash ONCE then stop flashing. No lights on dash when they are not working. No sound (our blinkers beeep when engaged). Started last night, no major truck issues happened besides this. Totally at a loss here, any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Good possibility of a problem with the turn signal/flasher switch itself. I recently had a similar problem and that was the problem.

You may be able to get the lights to stay on by holding pressure on the switch when you signal, or on the hazard switch. It's worth a try and may help identify the problem.

You are having this problem on both tractor and trailer, right?

4. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Broken switch?

Broken wire?

Loose/bad connection?

Bad ground?

Always check the simplest things first, and escalate.

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Put the 4 ways on and then release them again. The switch sometimes sticks and causes problems.

6. IROCUBabe

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    It may be a broken switch then, its not the 4 ways, we tried pulling it up and down hard, and nothing. Its real loose at the handle, hazards pulled as hard as i can and released again nothing. We will set up a repair otr when we get a bit further from the shop here which has a backlog.

Jkuruc1 Thanks this.
  7. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    check the harness that goes to the switch make sure its plugged in all the way some times you can hit it with your leg and loosen it or pull it out part way

8. gummy bear

gummy bear Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2008
    kentucky
    Yup, probably the switch. I had a similar issue in two different trucks I drove.

9. farmermatt

farmermatt Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Lowry City, MO
    mine did this a couple weeks ago and it was the blinker itsself

turn on the blinker and tap or shake the blinker box it will likely turn on this was my problem everyone told me it was the switch and i replaced it first all I did was waste 135 bucks the $16 blinker box fixed it

10. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    There is a round bulb in your fuse panel that controls both your blinkers and your hazards. Usually it is a 2 prong device, about $8 at any truck stop or automotive store. Some of them have 3 prongs. Replace it and I bet everything will work fine.

They do burn out after some time.

Wiseguywireless Thanks this.
  11. IROCUBabe

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    The flasher bulb in my box is clear, and rectangle. I can get a picture later for you. I will try replacing it first.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.