Blizzard warnings for areas of Nebraska, Missouri and Iowa .

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bzinger, Nov 24, 2018.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I'm not a meteorologist and am in California now but word from hq in Omaha says 80 29 and 35 will be ugly after midnite tonite into Sunday .
    Heads up !

BillStep, Rocks, Shock Therapy and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    x1Heavy and bzinger Thank this.
  4. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Just got a pic from Nebraska state patrol on my Facebook feed and 80 already nasty in western Nebraska.

5. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I usually don't get further West then day trips to Des Moines but sounds like this was a good time for dispatch to send me down to Kentucky.

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    U better get truckin then ! Lol

7. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    My second load for today fell thru and tomorrow morning's pick up (the Kentucky run) was ready early so I grabbed it and beat feet. Sitting in a hotel just outside of Lexington right now.

Shock Therapy and bzinger Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We expect high winds here in Arkansas and not really part of the storm itself thankfully. But where we are, the atmosphere is being pulled in with great force to feed this monster moving eastward. And so we will have a few hours of wind enough to knock down big rigs in Arkansas around sunset tomorrow (Sunday) give or take a little bit.

We don't get winds without a storm nearby usually that often. But when we do, that means whatever is to the north of us is a nice storm and not to be fooled with.

I don't mind blizzard conditions. It's when the white outs show up that it becomes a real problem. Thankfully I have had not too many of those in trucking. And only one storm with a powerful Nor'easter that covered a friends 18 wheeler in approx 40 feet plus drift. Took him a better part of a day to get that thing out. Now why would management expect him to get anywhere with it when our region was buried in 60 foot drifts covering two story houses is beyond me. We had three roads opened by front end loaders meaning to reach our town you had to drive between snow walls 10 feet wide which meant a little workaround in two way traffic by taking turns to get around each other.

Sometimes when you have a good storm, find a nice truckstop and settle in a while. Make a new delivery appointment if need be. No need to go out there and endanger yourself, the rig and the load. It can wait a while until this too passes.

9. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I just got my last pick up made in Cali going to Chicago for weds night so I'll miss it too.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have about until 3 am for Ottumwa conditions to become blizzard sunday morning (About 7 hours or so) to get clear of Des Moines. And indeed out of Iowa before this thing hits there.

Rocks and bzinger Thank this.
  11. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    There arnt actually blizzard warnings for Omaha but they are calling for blizzard conditions there ....the actual warning area is just south of Omaha into northern Kansas and Missouri .

x1Heavy and Shock Therapy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.