Blown by scales

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by liteguy, May 21, 2010.

1. liteguy

liteguy Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Idaho
    Has anyone ever blown past a scale or POE station?? When I was out, I had a time that my trainer had to point out that I needed to get over for the scales?? :biggrin_2556: Just curious if anyone else, as a rookie, or not, missed one. What do you do, turn around at the next off ramp, then go through the scales in the other direction. I'm sure it happens and I could imagine what a DOT officer would say.:biggrin_25516:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bubba mark

bubba mark Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    It really depends. Most of the time nothing happens. But sometimes they will come and get you and make you go back to the scale house. If that happens just say yes sir a lot and maybe you will get out of the ticket they will give you for failure to obey a traffic sign. :biggrin_25525:

Oh keep going if you pass it. If they really want you they will come and get you.

4. Saddle Tramp

Saddle Tramp Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2009
    laurel, nebraska
    Try to not let it happen. They will go after you & ticket you for running the scale + the miles that you have to drive back

5. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    I blew a couple ports of entry back when I first started. The ones that are several blocks up the street and out of sight of the road. Nothing happened. I wouldn't try it now, I just didn't feel like stopping then and I think I was empty both times anyway.

Once turned into one of those oddball scales they have way out on the state highways and followed the truck in front of me through. I didn't realized he was oversized until we passed the scale. I went around and back in across the scale just in case. Was empty then too.

Had a guy on the CB claim he hadn't stopped at one in 9 years, blew them all and never got caught. He said it as he has blowing by the one I was pulling into.

I pulled into a single axle scale in Mo one day and they didn't switch the light to green so I stopped the front axle on the scale and grinned at the guy. He looked back at my empty flatbed and about fell out of his chair laughing and waving me out of there.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I accidently blew past one back in '98. Heavy traffic, didn't see the "open sign. I saw the other trucks crossing the scale, and had a bunch of drivers letting me know it was open. Got lucky, and raised the scale on ch. 9 (this was a long time ago, needless to say). Told them what had happened, and asked what to do. They told me to turn around at the next exit, come back,turn around again, and roll the scale. I rolled the scale, and had to take my paperwork and logbook in for a quick lookover. The officers had a good laugh at my expense (I gotta admit, I was laughing, too. The older guy in there was a good fella, and had a twisted sense of humor!). After they looked at my paperwork, and gave me a few jibes, that was the end of it. And down the road I went.

7. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I blew MS on I 55 one night, it was raining and I just hammered on it, passed about 5 trucks and slowed down but they never came after me.

8. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    The Scale coming into WI on I 39 was open the other morning, there was a Gravel train in front of me, and a Werner in front of it. The scales said closed, but the In highway scale came on for the Gravel train for him to enter... Big led sign out on the Freeway... He wipped it to the outside of the Werner Truck and blew right on by.... I waited, but no one chased him down!

9. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I go past them all the time, have not been chased down.....yet

10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I used to pull around back in Wy. POE and go inside with paperwork, as did everyone. I then stopped going inside after pulling around back, just parked for a second and then drove on.

11. groundpounder

groundpounder Road Train Member

Nov 13, 2009
    been there done that !!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.