Blown Hydraulic line pto noise

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Daycabinit, May 13, 2019.

1. Daycabinit

Daycabinit Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I blew the pressure out/up line this morning at a job site (I haul an end dump) I was able to fix it at the job as there was a hydraulic shop a couple blocks away. Before this my pto was quiet couldn’t really hear it. after I got it put back together and went back to work I could hear the pto making a slight wine when I dumped. Any ideas as to why it would do that ? It’s a permco pump the trailer is a 28 ft rock tub

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I'm thinking it is air in the system did you bleed it.

4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Did you replace oil? With the same viscosity? Didn't lose a rag into the line that you or someone was wiping their hands off with. Sounds like maybe its starving for oil when pumping. I'm just guessing here.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Did you run the pump out of oil or did you get the PTO disengaged right away? Starving the pump of oil will cause damage to it. Did you fill the reservoir back up again after replacing the line?

If your pump is lower than the hydraulic tank level I doubt you'd have air in the system. Typically you'll get pump noise from aeration (sucking in air on the inlet side) or from cavitation (restriction in flow supplying the pump). If you run the box up and down a few times and then look in the tank is the oil foamy? Make sure you vent the reservoir before checking (if its a pressurized reservoir).

Cat sdp and stillwurkin Thank this.
  6. Daycabinit

Daycabinit Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Thanks for the reply’s I had to add about 8 gallons of oil I disengaged the pump as soon as it happened. I bleed the system today seems back to normal it must have been air in the system. Thanks again

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.