bobtail off duty going to mechanic

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by 4noReason, Mar 26, 2018.

1. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    say you are off duty driving on your way to a mechanic. you get into a accident bobtail only. is your bobtail insurance required to help you or your carriers insurance you are leased on to

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowhunter67

bowhunter67 Light Load Member

May 28, 2016
    rush city mn
    For one thing your not off duty going to a mechanic and second it's your bob tail insurance that has to cover it your not hauling a wagon so it's on you.

4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Depends on your status. Non Trucking Liability covers you when not under dispatch. Their definition of dispatch is a real wide load....

I had an owner operator from RI picked up his tank at the cleaning station in Warwick and drove to the shipper in Nashua where he was told the product wasn't ready, drop the tankwagon under the spiller and come back around 5:00 pm.

Since it is now 7:30 am he decides to bobtail down the street to the local greasy spoon for breakfast.

On his way back, belly full and contemplating a long day's nap under the shade trees, he bumps a car who started and stopped short at a stop sign on his way back....

He was under dispatch...

You take a trailer home [or to your parking yard]; you are still under dispatch.

Bob-tailing out to the shop on Saturday morning for an oil change and maybe an exterior wash...you are finally not under dispatch.

NTL usually denies the claim until someone proves that you were absolutely ":not under dispatch"....

brian991219 and 4noReason Thank this.
  5. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    thanks for info. im asking because my insurance great west casulty is saying if it shows its my fault they will not cover other vehicle damage and i need to go through my carrier insurance. and they will not cover anything because i was bobtail going to do an oil change. so now if im put at fault idk what imma do because i assume other insurance will sue me and i have my own darn insurance staying out of it. my dispatch said he never seen something like this

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    they always throw it back on you to 'prove' you were not "under dispatch"...

4noReason Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow anyone caught the problem with this one?

You are not off duty when you are going to the mechanic.

You are driving and on duty.

Your insurance will cover you bob-tail, that's what the non-trucking liability is for.

Dispatch has nothing to do with it.

8. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I don’t have this issue. I pay all my insurance.

Bean Jr. and bowhunter67 Thank this.
  9. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    i pay all my insurance too. in full every year and they saying i need to go through my carriers insurance which cannot happen

10. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    ya i know. so what do i do when they say they wont. last thing i wanna do is sue my own insurance thats if im found at fault ofcourse

11. 4noReason

Nov 29, 2012
    ya but being dispatched is not issue here. they said bcz i was goin to mechanic i was "doing business with trucking" so they are not required to cover other party if im at fault

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.