Booking off the spot market vs booking thru mega

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DAX_, May 7, 2020.

1. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I currently lease with Schneider

We use Schneider load board and get 65% of the load and 100% fuel surcharge. We also get 50-60 cents off fuel at the pilot/flying j

However I don't feel like their loads pay the best, especially where I live(Dallas)

The average load to get out of Dallas probably pays $1.15 per mile. There's also hardly ever any loads coming out of Houston and Atlanta. And never anything out of Florida. The best region to run seems to be the north east and after that the Midwest. Even though I feel like the Midwest is a distant second

I was talking to a guy and he said he took his truck to a company that works the spot market and he was able to find a broker that keeps him busy delivering watermelon out of Florida for $2.25 a mile

It's not the first time I heard about higher rates going with the spot market

My question is to people that have experience or knowledge with the subject, is it worth leaving Schneider to find my own loads at a potentially higher rate

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Is 1.15 a mile after the 65% ? Also u have to keep in mind if u have dedicated freight with schnieder or big customers and drop and hook stuff with them.. U will lose all that.. leaving that for 2.25 a mile on the spot market is a mistake imo.. Not to mention there is not anything on the spot market paying that right now... the load boards are a bloodbath right now. I get loads on truckstop.com all the time but havent touched it in over a month.. Not worth it..

alds and DAX_ Thank this.
  4. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes the rate per mile is after Schneider gets their 35% and no I have no dedicated freight with Schneider

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

Does that rate include fuel surcharge?

TripleSix Thanks this.
  6. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Yes it does

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  7. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The watermel. are harv. more north most every load

8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018

I know some places let you see what the shipper was charged, is that the case with Schneider?

Because that is pretty low, since I have a feeling megas don’t haul for less then $3 per mile at the moment because of contract rates signed last year. This feeling is based on load boards I’ve seen for megas during the king flu crisis.

just wondering if Schneider is screwing people over.

9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Here’s the thing about getting produce out of Florida that’s hard to factor in: TIME.

Back in the day, I used to run refer down into Florida. On percentage. Decent money going in, but the travel agent would some times want us to get a load of produce. Some times, you had to go out to the fields to get that stuff. It could take a couple days to get half a trailer of produce. You can lose your arse time wise. Proceed with caution.

10. DAX_

DAX_ Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No, we don't get to see how much Schneider got paid

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The Watermelons in a dry van, are hit and miss. Typically a bunch of loads are posted by a bunch of brokers. A lot of them don’t exist, or already covered by another. Best to find a real Broker or Shipper, as Direct as possible. There’s loads, but not as many as the boards make it seem. Lot of deception, can’t believe what they say.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.