Boss has me driving a death trap.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flashdrive7, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    I'll try to make this as concise as possible. I've been working for a tiny company for the last three and a half years. When I started we had about six trucks and eight or ten drivers. Things weren't to bad at first. Good miles but so so pay. For some time I've been driving an old broken down freightliner, a hand me down from a large company. The body is riddled with cracks and broken panels, some areas held together with wire and zip ties.

It looks so bad that I dread going into any scale. The mechanical works are no better. Always breaking down. Recently I was out of work with no compensation for over a month due to a blown engine.
    I was just about to quit when the boss begged me to stay to get back on the road and help earn back the cost of repair.

Now I'm stuck again with transmission issues. The mechanics where I'm at in Indianapolis just informed me the mounts or so bad it's a miracle the trans hasn't literally fallen out. Especially on the grades in the North East where I just came from.

Again I want to quit, not the occupation, just the employer. I'm getting in deep trouble with my finances because I can't even earn a decent wage or living. Although I still love the job and the open road.

Here's the kicker, the boss has made veiled threats that he will sabotage my career if I try to leave. Bad references, etc. I'm hoping to get some advice on how to deal with this plight. I'm sure I'm not the first driver to feel so miserable.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    He doesn’t even have the connections to keep his equipment running. I’m pretty sure he won’t have the pull to sabotage your career. Just find another job and get out of there.

Blackshack46, Tb0n3, HotH2o and 16 others Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    What's your location? What kind of trailer(s) would you like to be pulling? Do you have Hazmat and tanker endorsement?

Calling @Chinatown!!!

5. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    You definitely need to leave that outfit. If you have a decently clean driving record, and a decently clean PSP/inspection record, whatever your boss says will not have much effect. I can't remember the last driving job I've had where the employer checked any of my previous jobs. They check your MVR, your PSP, possibly your DAC, your criminal, and your work history dates. Then they check with their insurance to make sure you can be insured, and then they make their decision. I've worked for large corporate companies and small companies and never had them call references or previous jobs.

If you get in an accident or put OOS because of the piss poor equipment. Future companies will see this and it will impact your future job opportunities much more than whatever gossip your boss wants to come up with.

6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Maybe YOU should make some completely unveiled threats that you know the number to the Highway Patrol, who would be only too happy to send a CMV enforcement officer to investigate a report of unsafe equipment......

7. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast

Puppage and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Your current situation sucks. Get out of it as soon as possible. There are plenty of smaller (and larger) companies that are looking for drivers.

You noted that you have lots of miles, but little pay. Start looking for companies that pay by the load or by percentage. Forget about running your ### off. Think more about how much revenue the truck generates.

Another option would be a company that pays hourly. Anything but drive for pennies per mile, unless you have plenty of miles and well north of $0.50 per mile.

If you are willing to take on a job that has one or even all of the Three D's: dirty, difficult, and dangerous; then you get into driving jobs that pay very well. Hazmat really helps. Tanker really helps. Are you willing to do load securement and tarping for flatbed? Then there's agriculture or oil field work, all of which are at least dirty and difficult. Oil field adds dangerous to the mix.

x1Heavy, sevenmph, Jazz1 and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    get another job, you owe this clown nothing. Don't be one of those who feels obligated to employer. No "boss" has control over you unless you let him. You are not his dog.

10. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    ,That reminds me of what an old buddy, a retired cop and military veteran once told me "He can't command if you don't let him"
    Thanks bro.

x1Heavy and TaterWagon#62 Thank this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    You have eight years experience.

Let that sink in, especially if you have a clean record with an outfit like that.

You could just about write your own ticket. Are you interested in open deck, maybe heavy haul? Tanker? Lots of opportunities in your current area.

Willing to move to Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Wyoming, or North Dakota? There are "CDL DRIVERS WANTED YESTERDAY!!!" billboards on the entrance of any oil field company yard.

Oldironfan, sevenmph, x1Heavy and 7 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.