Boss has me driving a death trap.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Flashdrive7, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I would advise you to get out while you can, and while you record is still good. I went to work for a local company since I wanted to be home every night. I was told I would work 30-35 hours a week and given a flat salary. It all sounded great, but the reality set in. Half the dispatchers were foreign that I could barely understand. I was being sent out at all hours, day and night. As long as I got 10 off they thought it was fine. I was never able to get into a sleep routine, and felt punchdrunk all the time. After being informed that the dispatchers are always right and I have to do what they say, I was woken up at 1:00 AM told I had to leave for Louisville. I looked on my phone and it said the load didn't have to be there until 10:00 AM. It was 3 hours away. I asked why I had to leave now and got the same answer-you have to do what we say. Short story is it was raining and I was tired. I put a wheel off in a ditch in a construction zone where the shoulder was not marked and water had partially come over the road, hiding the edge. I had not had a ticket or accident since 1986. I have had a CDL since 2001. Truck had to be towed, but I disconnected the trailer, got another truck and made the run. This company ran me to death locally, working crazy hours, sometimes I would leave early, other times be called in after lunch and work until 2:00 in the morning. So technically I was getting hours off, but we all know when sleep patterns are disrupted you are never quite right. Long story short, I was dismissed because I complained about the weird hours I had to work. Now my record is ugly, and insurance carriers don't care about the details, they just see the record and decide you are a risk. I would advise you to get out while your record is still good. That is what companies will look at, not what your boss says. The others on here are correct and giving you good advice.

Flashdrive7 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I assume the OP is still working for the company.

4. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
    Time ta grow a pair an tell that fool to kick rocks! When somethin goes really bad and someone gets hurt, where ya gonna be then?

Flashdrive7 and Dumdriver Thank this.
  5. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Survey says.......YOU are putting your entire future career on the line. Get another job and bail.

(And I look at the first picture you sent, and can't believe that is what someone calls bodywork?)
    "What; I fixed it??"
    That's not even a good joke.

Flashdrive7 Thanks this.
  6. Flashdrive7

Flashdrive7 Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    Hi guys, it's me THE OP. After sitting in Indianapolis for a week, I'm on my way back to home 20. Not in the truck but by rented car (4 wheels) They wanted to fly me but I asked for a car because of all my road gear. I'm going back to quit this guy. As I said I still love the job and open road but lately I feel like a cross between a pack mule and a street Walker.

I'm going to stop in Texas half way home and see if a fellow l know there will still use me as he offered. He has a small but strong fleet and pays by the load.

Funny thing, this afternoon as I was cleaning out the truck I gave it the once over in all the storage areas, kind of like when you leave a hotel room. I sat on the bunk for a minute and felt just a little sad. When it was running good, it was strong. I would pass shiney new trucks (I know most were governed, mine was not) with ease. We'd climb the grades in Wyoming and Nevada and on up to Colorado, even pulling 35000 lbs like strolling to the park. As I sat in it for the last time I felt like I was saying goodbye to a dear friend.

Then I snapped out of it. It's been over a year since it was strong. It's cost me nothing but headache and misery for the last year. Not to mention the gouges to my bank account because of no income when it's down.

I found one item in the cabinet that I deliberately left behind. It goes with the truck well.
    The only function the #### thing is good for now KIMG0028.JPG

7. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    Good for you! I just read this. I found myself in a similar situation early in my career. It's almost a "I will beat this guy" kind of feeling, but everything else suffers. He'll never change, you can and should. I now have a real good job, and have had a few other good jobs. Your CDL is your life, don't let any CRAP company ruin it for you. If you're as dedicated to a good company they will mostly take care of you, sometimes you will get crapped on, but they should make it up to you.

rbrtwbstr, Flashdrive7 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

I save that for new Co-workers that I can't stand. Working for a small company, and being #1 in seniority, my name has come up in several exit interviews, (if we have such things). Most new hires show up expecting to get what I've earned over the last few years. (The gravy runs, the new truck and trailer, and numerous other perks) Once they figure out that they gotta earn such things, they get all pissy and try to do things to take me down. But, it never seems to work for them. It becomes sort of a battle, usually starting off as friendly, with the typical joking around. Then, after a while, usually when the work slows, it usually gets ugly. What they fail to realize is that because I show up for work everyday, I don't tear things up, and our customers usually request me when something is different, I tend to receive the best the boss has to offer. He actually treats me almost like a son. And I hear about it all the time from the other guys.
    Do I occasionally screw up? Absolutely. But, I usually don't hear much about it. I think it's because it's not often, and usually very minor. I usually get screamed at for things that have nothing to do with me. Which is entertainment for me.

One guy actually almost beat me. He was slowly building a great reputation with the boss, and customers. We were, and still are friends. I honestly believe if he wouldn't have been going through a divorce, he would have caused me to quit. He now owns a small fleet of trucks. We've discussed me working for him, but the move would be a sideways move, money wise. So for now I'm staying right where I am, at least until I grow up and buy my own truck. Or the company I work for.

Where am I going with all this? I dunno, but I will say this. I love what I do, and who I do it for. I run great equipment, and make a very comfortable living. It's no longer work for me, it's what I do to support my family. And it's fun, sparring with co-workers and occasionally the boss. Once you find such a company, give 1000%, everyday, because it becomes VERY enjoyable.

9. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    OP here again. Thought I'd give an update on my situation. My dispatcher put me in touch with a company owner he works with. Another small outfit (I prefer small shops to big companies) This one is much more professional. Office is a scaled down version of a big company terminal. He has over three dozen trucks as opposed to the three the other guy had so they'll be no sitting around if one breaks. All late models. He likes that I told him I like to stay out for at least three weeks at a time. My choice. Last week I did drug test and all the sign on paperwork and sat down for a discussion on what he expects from me as well as what I can count on from him.

Basically, he wants a good coverage of miles everyday and dependable, punctual service.
    He doesn't know my old boss personally, but has heard of him and wonders how I put up with him for so long.
    I live over two hours away by car and had to sit out the weekend. He offered to front me some cash for a hotel, but I said sleeping in a truck on the yard would be fine. Shower available and plenty of places to eat.

Of course the real story will be told when I start rolling tomorrow. I'll let you know how it's going.
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and be safe!

xsetra, upnorthwpg and Zeviander Thank this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Unless you get caught on a scale by the DOT, the owner can't do anything to your career. Run far away as fast as possible. Put in your notice and refuse to drive a truck that should be put OOS. It'll hurt the wallet, but not as much as the DOT can.

A company can't do anything to a driver's career outside of give a bad reference... but AFAIK they are required to tell the truth when it comes to your work history. They can call you a negative person, but they can't argue with the facts.

11. Flashdrive7

Apr 24, 2015
    West Coast
    OP here again. Just finished my first week and first run with my new employer. Everything is going great. I had an out and back run of around 3000 miles total. The truck he had me in runs like a dream and is so comfortable.

It's something I can be proud of. I was always embarrassed with the horrible machine I had before, especially when I pulled up at a customer.
    My new boss started me at five cents more per mile then the old one. It may not seem like much, but it added up to over a hundred and fifty dollars more than what I'd have made for the same run with the other guy.
    The new boss is very pleased with my first run and encouraged me to keep it up. I'm thrilled to be working for him and for the first time in nearly two years I'm happy on the job.
    My thanks to all who sent me advice. Especially the ones who gave it to me straight. "Time to grow a pair" "Wake up and move on" etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.