Boss wanted me to train a new driver

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, May 21, 2018.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    The new driver he hired had very minimal experience. The guy got his CDL in 2016 but was working b.s. jobs when he was hired at my company, in fact he was a gas station attendant at 7-11. His previous driving experience was 6 months to a year of driving 26' mostly automatic box trucks. He worked a dump truck job that literally had him driving half an hour a day and work as a labourer the rest of the day. he never was broken in via otr, I very much believe the little otr I did was beneficial.

I allowed him to drive bobtail and pull a tanker in a low traffic area. He missed a gear once and wanted to bring the truck to a stop and start over again. Really? I told him push the clutch in give it some fuel, I look at the speed from the passenger side (20 mph) and shifted into 4th from the passenger seat.

He is not a bad guy but lacks lacks experience, I told my boss I'm not really completely comfortable training him on driving. boss said he would put him with someone else. I'm not getting paid to train, and was never trained on being a trainer. I will also not really be paid to be a driver trainer.

I have no issues training someone on the non-driving aspects of the job, but when it comes to effectively training someone how to drive I'm not comfortable.

I hope I handled this well and wonder how other people on ttr would handle this.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I trained.
    It's awful. Lol.
    You just have to have unlimited patience.
    You can't let your guard down for a second for the most part.
    I had several that would have gotten into full on collisions, left unchecked, and this was like after 3 weeks.

You did the right thing.

The last guy I worked for, I was his road tester.
    That was frightening all on its own lol.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All you have to do is say, "If you have any questions; wake me up."

5. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    You handled it correctly.
    And no offense but you don't yet have the experience level to be training.
    This is one of the bigger problems we have in the industry, blind leading the blind.
    Again, good job bowing out of this stitsuation.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  6. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    This is a local driving environment, not sleeping with a driving to trainee, something I would never ever do. I myself only have 1-1/2 years or so of driving experience myself, nearly 100% local driving. I don't think there is anything wrong with that but the fact is I drive a little over 100 miles per day, much of my day is spent loading milk waiting for the pump. An otr driver does 400 miles per day. My own experience admittedly is somewhat limited. I know how to safely operate my truck in different conditions but I don't think I know enough to train anyone on driving.

I feel like I need to be in control. My boss, a 40 year trucking veteran who trained me should be training him in my opinion. My boss had a knee replacement many months ago and seems like he uses it as an excuse not to get in a truck. If he thinks he has enough drivers and doesn't feel like driving that's his choice.

As far as training an inexperienced newbie, it's his truck, his company....he is an excellent trainer and did well by me. I think he should train the guy. If my boss can mow his lawn and do things around his house, no reason he can't get in the passenger seat and teach this guy.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  7. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    This kind of thing is not addressed by CDL schools or at least mine didn't. They taught downshifting one gear at a time while double clutching. Basically what was required to pass the exam, not so much real-world shifting.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    School doesn't teach recovering a gear.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  9. moloko

moloko Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    seattle, wa
    Someone is going to put up with it. It's not that he's unsafe for the road, it's that he is learning. Also, if he senses his trainer is anxious, and he undoubtedly will be more in tune to your body language since he wants to impress you... this will also be a huge psychological distraction to him. I also scared the hell out of my first trainer. The good news for you is that it's the other person who will die in the event of a collision, regardless of fault! So some optimism. And I mean that light heartedly. You guys have an automatic at your yard? If so, have him learn on that. Tell him to slowly accelerate and watch the RPMs relationship to the MPH as it ####s up and down. He'll learn after a few months when exactly to shift the manual transmission, and if you grasp the concept of exactly when to shift, learning "how " to shift will come naturally and almost automatically. I learned on an automatic for six months by myself. I never had a driver trainer, except for two days. I taught myself how to drive, taught myself how to shift the truck , on all types of transmissions, 10 straight, 13 speed, 9 speed, hauled doubles, double tanker, HAZMAT. I built an entire career from not knowing how to drive and having nobody actually teach me. Just trust this guy , that he's going to get it sooner than later, and the odds are in his favor that a catastrophe is most likely not going to happen.

10. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Admittedly, I knew how I was when I was with that level of experience. I would not be comfortable teaching myself lol. I never said he was unsafe for the road, he has not seen what can happen. He doesn't know what to anticipate from moron 4 wheelers, I'm still trying to figure that one out lol...I think we all are. Impossible to figure out people driving cars, that is worse then it has ever been. I think cars are the biggest hazard. Nearly everything else you can control, cars are a wild card

11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Then there is the remaining issue of compensation for training. I don't believe there is much if any. Your taking a significant risk. The short period of time I was with Werner I just about doubled my trainer's pay and he was not really all that great. He would sit in the passenger seat and not say much, your doing fine....look, tell me how to be better.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.