bought a 2014 T680 - and have a few questions - HELP

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by wheelman666, Mar 4, 2018.

1. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    I just bought a 2014 T680. and I have a few questions issues with her. any feedback, help, suggestions would be great.
    I just bought a 2014 T680 with an MX13, Ultra Shift 10. it was set at 455hp. i wanted 500hp, but i was told it could not be done,??? but could only go to 485hp. So i did buy the uprate to 485hp. Now i have been driving the truck a little more than 4K miles. I have 3:36 rears and I'm surprised that it won't climb the hills. She also seems to shift to early, at 75 I'm doing 1500rpm. I can't seem to get the RPM over 1600, so no torque. She seems to shift to early, to low in the RPMs, Its like, they did the Uprate but for what ever reason, nothing is unleashed.
    WHY????? Were there there changes in the tranny program that should have been done also? other parameters that should have been done? I do have a copy of the current parameters that i can send anyone.

Also I seem to have no jake brake in 10th gear or below about 1200 rpm. ( i think 1200) it just coasts until it down shifts and then the jake kicks in. so downhill i have to downshift to 9 to get my jake, not good.

and my last question - I had a ProStar Highrise for 9 yrs with a ISX15, love that motor, 475hp with 3:55 rears. Now that truck ran up the hill with 40K in the box, and compared to my T680, well the 680 is walking and i would expect the 680 at 485hp to be about the same (Shouldn't it?) . anyway the last question is i have noticed in the turns on the highway, like doing 70mph down I79 she seems to lean a hell of a LOT. I can't tell for sure if its just the cab or if its the whole truck, but i have to tell you it has me a bit spooked. my ProStar NEVER leaned even at faster speeds. any idea why the hell its leaning like that or is that normal for a T680? OH, when i park, i lose the air in the cab airbags in a matter of minutes.

Please let me know your thoughts. I don't want to go straight back to the place i bought it from, they didn't seem to know what they were doing with the uprate int he first place. So i'm trying to get some outside thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I don't know too much about the auto-tragic transmissions in the current trucks, but it sounds like the transmission software needs to be reprogrammed.

Without knowing your truck's mileage, I would think as for the cab leaning, I would check the front cab mount bushings as they will wear out and cause excessive movement in the cab body.

You may also want to check your suspension shocks and bushings for wear and replace if necessary.

I would also change the rear cab shocks as I'm sure they are toast after 3 years.

The loss of air in the cab airbags could be cracked or a hole in the airbag, leaking air line or connectors, or your cab leveling valve has a leak or needs to be replaced.

4. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    If you're losing air in a matter of minutes, then you have a leak... which COULD explain the leaning if the air bags aren't holding air properly. If it' leaning more than it should you either have a problem in the cab suspension (air bags and shock absorbers for the sleeper), the regular suspension, or you're going too fast and need to slow down. I'm not in the truck with you, but it's likely one of those 3 things and my money is on the sleeper suspension or all of the above.

I don't have an automatic or a PACCAR motor in mine though, so can't help you there.

5. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Oh yeah, or the cab bushings as @boneebone said. Or all of the above.

6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Low rpm torque engine, no torque above 1600 anyhow.

7. wheelman666

wheelman666 Medium Load Member

May 9, 2011
    Lake Katrine NY
    I'its not the TOO FAST part. been driving way to long, and at this point, I'm having to slow down under the speed limit to feel comfortable. Compared to my Prostar that i just stepped out of after 9 years, this KW is LEANING, so ill have them check out all the above.
    as for the cab bags losing air, I'm pretty sure they have a leak. i threw that in that because i was wondering since they are leaking, and probably not fully inflated, if that would cause or help cause the lean.

Any more ideas on the lack of power? early shift?? Im thinking the tranny program also or they didn't change the torque programming when they did the uprate

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.