Box Truck from NJ to FL...

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by weirdbutnot, Jul 31, 2020.

1. weirdbutnot

weirdbutnot Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2020
    So dad is gifting me his 2008 Mitsubishi FK260 18' box w/ lift-gate. It's currently sitting in NJ patiently waiting for me to drive her down to FL where I live.
    DMV is a nigthmare up there for the moment so title was sent down for me to register in FL.
    I've searched for days on how to do this cheapest way, as liability insurance is $$$.
    Read many posts here, got a few ideas but still dead end.
    I've called several agencies to get it covered as private vehicle, just to drive it home, but every SINGLE agency asked what will I do after it's here. As soon as I say run loads or whatnot, I get a commercial quote $2-3k down. I plan to get my CDL in a the next month or so, and will likely end OTR, if anything for the experience. Intention is O/O within 2yrs.
    SIGH...
    Went to local tag agency today and was told vehicle must be present to transfer title. o_O
    How? I can't drive it there w/o plates!

Posting for suggestions and for anyone else to find down the road from Google.
    New plan is to tell them I'm converting it to an RV once here. ;)
    Plan C is to spend a couple days in NJ straightening this out...
    Joined OOIDA but I can't quite understand their site for squat, lol...
    Not sure if it would be worth it to run local for a bit first, to cover the first few months I'd be training/OTR.
    Late bloomer here, 41 and first child turns 1 next week!
    Anyways, the box is basically serving as a buffer either before or after CDL training and maybe a down payment on tractor if I still have butterflies after OTR... :D:D

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tell the DMV the truck is used for private vehicle, just like a pickup truck or large van.
    Tell, whoever, you have no intention of using it for anything other than personal use. Yeah, maybe make an RV out of it in a couple years.
    Your father gave it to you, so you're keeping it for sentimental reasons. You just need a temp tag to get it to Florida.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  4. weirdbutnot

Jul 28, 2020
    Firstly, I'm honored to get a response from a veteran here. Thank you.
    I'm planning to tackle that later today, when I wake up lol. Never thought to toss in the sentimental part, tho it's true.
    At the back of my mind I've played with the idea of converting a "short yellow bus" to a camper. :cool:
    I will update later after the 2nd DMV here, otherwise I guess NJ it is. I'd have to fly up anyways, just I'd be there a day or two more.
    Also looking at DOT number as no lettering on the side may make my trip back extra long per dad,
    however, a temp tag and maybe temp IRP permit should keep things smooth.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    If you are using it as a private vehicle DOT num. will not be needed, call insur. co. that you have your cars insur. with and tell them that when you get it home you will be using it for storage or as a P/U truck? Lots of cars and trucks are unable to get tags now, many are riding without tags with tag app. for tags on them but you will need some insur. to be safe on your trip home!

weirdbutnot and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some people use Class-8 trucks (big rig) as personal vehicles.
    Don't need special drivers license or DOT numbers.
    Most of us have seen those trucks on the road. Some pull RV trailers or just drive them as they bought them.

weirdbutnot Thanks this.
  7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Chances are it is not a CDL truck [GVWR 26001# or more] and it is not currently doing anything commercial so you don't need IFTA, CDL, Commercial insurance, etc.;problem is getting it added to your auto policy if they think you are planing to use it commercially. Keep looking.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Can't understand the OOIDA site? My first thought trying to find info would be to call and talk to someone there. Start with "Contact" on the site.
    Contact Us By Phone:
    For local and mobile phone callers:
    (816) 229-5791

For all other callers, please dial:
    (800) 444-5791

roshea and wis bang Thank this.
  9. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Not sure how FL DMV operates, but it would seem that you should be able to get an out-of-state temp tag to get you from NJ to FL. Just because the truck has a NJ title should be irrelevant, folks buy out-of-state trucks all the time.

Just a thought, but do you have a friend with a dealer plate that you could utilize to make the move?

As far as insurance goes, tell them the truth, you inherited this truck (no sales tax BTW) and need to get it out of Jersey to your place in FL. At this time, it is not going to be used commercially, but just as your personal vehicle from NJ to FL. You used to be able to get temp insurance for just this purpose, but many now won't do it. So, you may need to add it to your personal policy and then cancel it once in FL.

Right now, what you plan on doing with it later on is irrelevant, cross that bridge when you get to it. As far as OOIDA goes, yeah, I agree, for me their "new" format seems harder to navigate then before, but I'm an old fart and not very techno savvy, good luck...

650cat425 and wis bang Thank this.
  10. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    So, does Pops have this vehicle currently registered ? At 18 ' (box length) it's not much bigger than a small U-Haul rental van. Is it marked or plain sides ? Can you run it with his plates and Insurance to Fl. ? I would attempt to add to your 4 wheeler policy as a pleasure vehicle. Try to keep the "commercial" aspect below radar. Have fun !!!!

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. weirdbutnot

Jul 28, 2020
    Thanks. My State Farm agent informed me that State Farm does not insure CMVs as personal use, with much attitude I might add. :mad:

Correct. GVWR is listed as 25,900lbs.

I was under the impression that OOIDA was a "One-Stop-Shop". It's appears to be more like a directory. I already paid for the yearly membership as sooner or later, I'll be driving some kind of truck, lol.

Per the NJ MVC page here: NJ MVC | Temporary Non-Resident Registration
    I need to fill out form BA-49 located at any Motor Vehicle Agency.
    There is also a fillable PDF for New Jersey "Bill Of Sale".
    Insurance information is listed below.

Pops vehicle is not currently registered. I believe it is plain on both sides. If anything I'll strip lettering once I get there Wednesday.

---------------

Story time: I got 'er dun..!!

1. Called my State Farm agent who advised that State Farm does not insure CMVs for personal use.
    2. Revisited Progressive for online quote. VIN not accepted until I called and was transferred to Commercial policy side. I was then advised that Progressive does not write CMV for personal use policies in FL. I was given 2 agencies to contact who may help.
    -Statewide 305-233-4611 - spoke to Teresa, due to hurricane policy will be sent in Monday.
    -Martinez Assurance 305-235-9067 -could not quote until Monday.
    3. Statewide was able to find a policy with.... **drum-roll** Progressive Commercial lol:
    -PIP 10k
    -BI 10k per person, 20k per accident
    -Property 10k
    *Liability only: $230 down and 162 monthly & $500 deductible**
    *w/ Collision/Comprehensive: $310 down - $218 monthly*** & $500 deductible**
    **$1000 deductible saved only $3 monthly
    **insurance shows claim I made when an Ex was run off road by someone going wrong way and never stopped. Claim is 2 months shy of 3yrs, so may come down lower. Currently paying $196 monthly for a 2004 Accord EX sedan!
    ***likely to cancel comprehensive or "pause" insurance entirely by end of 1st month here.

Due to Hurricane Isaias, no Comprehensive can be written until Monday.
    Insurance begins Wednesday 12:01am, the day I fly into NJ.
    Pops says I can get Title in my name same day, which is requirement of form BA-49, along with their weird 6pts of ID verification: I've got Passport +4, SSN card +1 and Property Tax Bill +1. Finally, Proof of Insurance and a $5 fee. :p
    Note to self: get utilities out of 1st wife's name, it's been 9yrs!

Thanks to all for your help and/or input, suggestions and time; we did it! :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    kemosabi49 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.