BOYD BROS. Going to try it again.....

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by happypappy25, Feb 26, 2009.

1. happypappy25

happypappy25 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    League City, Texas
    :biggrin_25510:Guess I will come back out on the road. Boyd Bros. has a Tx. Regional that sounded pretty good. Run I45, 35,20 & 10 area. Get pd. % . said to gross 800-1000 a wk. and be home every weekend. They suck up the tarp pay, that sucks.:biggrin_25510:The next orientation is mid-March.
    Anyone see if they keep their trucks up in good condition? I know they used to.They are APU equipped and thats a plus.:biggrin_25519:Would appreciate any info. All news on here is basically old news.:biggrin_25520:

reddogjd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reddogjd

reddogjd Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2009
    kendallville,indiana
    Boyd has been sending me post cards wantin me to come down to drive for them.I live in Indiana,and there in Clayton,AL.Let me know how it goes.Thanks

4. happypappy25

happypappy25 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2008
    League City, Texas
    Well, talked to Cynthi again today and she said they aren't hiring in Tx. till the first of April. Guess I will have to hold out till then.:biggrin_25512:

5. longshot

longshot Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2009
    somewhere in mississippi
    their partner company WTI has been running ads where i live. i dont see how anybody has flatbed freight in this economy.

6. trukngrl

trukngrl Lollipop, lollipop...

Mar 7, 2009
    Manchester, Ga
    :biggrin_25519:I was told that they hired out of alabama and that they would show you what you needed to know about tarping etc. as long as you had otr experiance.Is this true?Are they a good company and are there any women there?I would love to get flatbed experiance under my belt anything you guys could tell me would be greatly appreciated :biggrin_25519:

7. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    Most flatbed companies are reluctant to hire women due to the physical nature of the work. It's not just the tarping aspect of it, any1 can unroll a tarp that has been lifted to the top of the load by a forklift driver. I think it's more the amount of pressure exerted on the straps/chains that hold the loads. Sometimes it takes a LOT of force to hold something on the bed, and after a long trip, even MORE force to release the bindings. Hell, I'm 5'10", 170 lbs, in good physical shape, and at times had to REALLY REALLY work that winch bar. Lots of upper body strength, which a majority of women lack, is needed for most flatbed work. BTW, Boyd is a decent company, I had them on my "short list", just never went to them.

trukngrl Thanks this.
  8. justanothercrzytrkdrvr

justanothercrzytrkdrvr Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    Well, I worked for Boyd last year for awhile. I went thru several different dispatchers. I don't know what was going on in Clayton. Anyway, I should of stayed cause I ended up moving out to Texas at the first of the year.

I checked with Betty on Friday and as stated earlier, they aren't hiring for the Tx regional right now. Betty remembered me and said she would let me know when they started back up.

I did alot of research before I went to work at Boyd and while they had some things I didn't like or agree with they kept me running and I never had any "real" problems out of them. The equipment isn't bad and they made sure I had everything on the truck that I would need before I left the terminal. I had to get my apu fixed out on the road but not much down time.

Anyway, I guess the bottom line is that I would recommend them over the other flatbed companies. It can be pretty tough work. Your out in the weather, the tarps are heavy/cumbersome, you can get very dirty, & get frustrated pretty easy over your load. My wife went with me and she could never figure out why anyone would want to work flatbeds. I miss it and enjoyed it when I was out there. I'm pulling vans now, working local here in Texas but if Betty calls me back and offers the Tx regional I'll go.

Good luck out there everyone and stay safe!

trukngrl Thanks this.
  9. trukngrl

Mar 7, 2009
    Manchester, Ga
    thank you for the info on the company.I know it will be a challenge for me(being a woman) in flatbed :biggrin_25511: but i always have been one to love a good challenge and overcome it :yes2557: i'm a firm believer in not judging a book by it's cover and i do believe that companies out there have to atleast give women a chance or i'm sure someone out there would get them for discrimination.When i finally go over to flatbed i known i'll have my work cut out for me in proving i can do it,but it is something that i will do and succeed in. :biggrin_25519: thanks again to all

91eclipse215 Thanks this.
  10. homerhardfart

homerhardfart Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2009
    springfield,tn
    if got a 4 ft piece of 3/4 rebar and stuck it in the end of you're winch bar almost anybody could exert enough force to tighten those straps. now the bindings are a little more diffcult but can be done. ive personally observed small women 5'4" 120 lb'ers doing the JOB. dont sell yourself short.

trukngrl Thanks this.
  11. trukngrl

Mar 7, 2009
    Manchester, Ga
    hey homer thanks for the input and confidence.It is not me that is selling myself short but others...but i've found that's the way it usually goes :biggrin_2551: But i love to watch people's faces when they are proved wrong :biggrin_25517: I just had a small surgery on my stomach which shouldn't take long to heal but i plan on getting into flatbed as soon as i can so i can get the experience in once again thank you

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.