Brake Adjustment Test?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DevJohnson, Jun 24, 2018.

1. DevJohnson

DevJohnson Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Has anybody had to do a brake adjustment test before getting on with their local company? I’m taking a road test of course but have never heard of a brake adjustment.. wasn’t taught in school assuming slack adjusters are automatic and there are very few trucks with manual slacks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I didn't have to though it is part of a thorough pre trip. Not sure how common it is for a company to want to see you do it.

As for never being taught how to check for proper adjustment I'm a bit surprised. I thought that was pretty standard. Auto adjusters can fail to work properly, hence the need to check for proper adjustment.

I glide 47 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Give this a read. Its British Columbia's air brake rules but should give you some useful info.

Attached Files:

Lepton1 and silverspur Thank this.
  5. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Bendix says a auto adjuster that needs adjustment is toast.

bigmotor1212 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I wish I had seen this thread before I retired for the night. I'm on my smartphone finishing up some loose things. I have some great teaching material on this subject, just not where I can get it right now. However there used to also be some good youtube videos on this subject too.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Of course they say that, they want to sell you new ones. I get under mt truck nearly every weekend. Once every couple months i might have to snug up a slack adjuster. According to bendix i need 10 slack adjusters.

Now if the same adjuster was backed off after a single week id change it, but a quarter turn every few months? Only a guy trying to get in your check book would say that adjuster is toast.

8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    been told by US and Canadian DOT, over the course of 30+ yrs, that if you touch your brakes to adjust you are now liable for accidents. you can only adjust ,if you are a certified tech. really.
    was in a scale , (Missouri on 35, QEW in Canada), and was told the brakes were out and jumped out to adjust. the officer wanted to see my certification as a brake tech.
    I leave it to a shop or will adjust only to get to a shop.

DustyRoad Thanks this.
  9. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Even if you have auto slack adjusters, aren't you supposed to release your tractor and trailer brakes on level ground then pull down on your Johnson bar 5 or 6 times to insure proper adjustment?

10. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    About a year ago, dot let me adjust my brakes roadside instead of giving me a ticket. Seriously. But anyhow, if you adjust your brakes at your shop or house, how can that be proven in court that you in fact adjusted them. That’s a silly law

bottomdumpin and AModelCat Thank this.
  11. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    If that worked, it would only adjust the trailer brakes.

Roger McG, Lepton1 and spindrift Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.