Brake lining right or wrong

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I am putting brake lining on the steer axle of my truck.

When I put the lining onto the the anchor pins I have to actually Hammer the lining down over the spider to sit on to the Anchor pins.

When I say hammer I don't mean Hammer like Sledgehammer but I do have to tap it in. No way I could just set it on there by hand.

I thought everything is supposed to be loose and free. I did sand it down and it's a little better, but it's still tight.

These are the Linings from Freightliner that they say my truck calls for.

What do you think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Idahojoel

Idahojoel Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Phoenix Arizona
    I think you need to post a picture was there a lot of paint on it ?

4. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    It will likely be ok. Are these new shoes or reman? The anchors of the shoe table will actually spread and stretch open over the life of the shoe, so a good snug fit when new is what you want. Reman shoes are ussually reshaped at the anchor. Make a couple good brake applications after assembly and readjust to make sure everything is seated good.

What brake are you working on?

AModelCat and Dino soar Thank this.
  5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Okay, I feel better about that.

They are relined Meritor Q Plus shoes for the steer axle.

6. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Yep, it’s normal for that to be right there. You want that snug. I give each a smack with a hammer to make sure there set. The pivot pin itself is what you want to move in the bushing. Make sure the pins slip in there. If they are rust solid the pin and bushing should be replaced. Make sure the new ones slip free.

7. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Speaking of the anchor pins...

I've noticed that sometimes with a new pin and bushing that when you put the new pin in it will slide in and out but when it gets to the end it's a little bit tight or it'll spend tree but then it kind of finds a high spot or something. Like it isn't just completely free to spin all the time.

Do you guys encounter that also?

8. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    Yep, sometimes it’s just a bit of rust under the bushings. If you can get the pin 90% in by hand, you can usually bring the pin in for the other direction 1/2 way in and hammer around on the pin to “fit” the bushing. Do that from both sides till it’s a slip fit.

If it’s too tight or I can’t get the pin to free up, I’ll remove the bushing, use a small brake hone to clear just the rust, and install a new bushing.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.