Brake Saver wanting one

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by olblu362, Oct 19, 2009.

1. olblu362

olblu362 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2009
    rock springs , Wyoming
    hey i have been searching for awhile now but no luck thought maybe some of the old school guys would know where i can get one . before we start the old 'THEY LEAK LIKE A SIEVE I'D NEVER HAVE ONE " I like them and love them have one on my 362 am wanting one for my 98 379 i drive in the mountains ALOT so they are a blessing with my older trucks . any help or advice would be great thanks to all once again

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Hello olblu: Just a quick question for you? How do the brakesavers hold back, compared to engine brakes. A guy in town has one and says he has to keep an eye on the oil temp on longer hills.
    I have it in the back of my head that i would like a brakesaver. I guess they are alot of headaches though?..... thanks for your time....

4. olblu362

Jan 6, 2009
    rock springs , Wyoming
    They take engine oil and use it as a hydraulic brake it has vanes on the inside and it spins opposite the way the engine is turning causing a braking effect like a torque converter on a automatic instead of transfering the power to the wheels it slows the engine or drivetrain . probably not a very good explanation but thats how i view them they take a couple of gallons of oil from engine and yes if you do not cycle it it will heat up depending how its set and adjusted works real good for goin down donners or the long hills small amount of brakesaver a little jake brake you can go all the way to the bottom never touch brakes . wolfcreek pass monarch pass very handi !!!!

5. black_dog106

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    How is the retarding compared to the newer engine brakes?

6. olblu362

Jan 6, 2009
    rock springs , Wyoming
    i dont know have never driven anything newer than a 98 but i hear the new engine brakes a pretty #### good

7. AK20

AK20 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Retarders are the cat's ##### in my opinion! I drive a 05 W900 C15 Acert equipped with a retarder, as far as the holding power goes the stage 3 jake with hold way better but when you use them together (jake-retarder) is when they shine. With heavy loads you can really crawl off the top of steep grades. Winter driving they really show there colors, on icy or snow covered roads you can use stage 1 or 2 on the jake with 20-40 psi on the retarder and not slip a tire...another neat trick is pulling hills in the winter if you start wiping your feet(spinning) sometimes you can throw 10-15 psi to the retarder and keep the tires from spinning out,like olblu said the retarder doesn't transfer the power to the tires like a jake does.

8. C16KIWI

C16KIWI Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2008
    New Zealand
    I have had a brakesaver on the last 2 trucks Ive had and rate it 10/10.
    Have just replaced the seals and have done 500k miles,our country has a lot of steep hills and use it combined with the jakes all the time (we run at 110,000 lbs)
    I upped the air pressure from 40psi to 60 and estimate about 800hp of hold back when used with the jakes.
    Good in town at night,no noise.

9. olblu362

Jan 6, 2009
    rock springs , Wyoming
    when we pull the double tankers for condensate were 117+++ we get paid by the barrel SO we load'em up the retarders are worth their weight in gold with me place in big springs tx im tryin to get ahold of now suppose to have everything i need ..
    830 your probably at 800 braking horse at 40 psi the 600's have new style jakes and adjusted properly they alone are according to cat 600 braking hp not sure on how to do the math on the retarders

10. black_dog106

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    I would love to have the extra retarding, plus
    a big benefit, no noise going through towns.
    Thanx for the replys, gentlemen........:yes2557:

11. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    I kinda figured they would have more braking power than that. Still would be nice I've heard of them but I can't say I've ever seen a truck for sale that advertised having one. Were they expensive?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.