Brake use question (2019 Freightliner)

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Commuter69, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Help me understand.....

My truck has 311xxx miles on it and still on the original brake pads on the steer axle and on the front drive axle.....

In January, at 223xxx miles, we replaced the pads on the rear drive axle.

I haven't had more than a dozen "hard braking incidents"( all after some ID10T decided to move too close in front of me and I just didn't want to be pulling pieces of vehicle from the grill. Go figure, that's not on my agenda for any day ending in "Y", as in Y me?

I don't understand why the difference? Is this something that is normal (in my family, we define the opposite of that)...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    It’s not the hard braking, it daily use. Rear axle might have been clocked wrong, meaning the auto slacks were keeping the adjustment too tight. They would be the first to touch under light braking.

650cat425 Thanks this.
  4. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014

Ok, that said, if the slack adjusters are set PROPERLY, how long should brake pads last? Again, almost daily driving(less DOT breaks and a week home time every 6 weeks on average). Not many hard brake incidents, and using the engine brakes to control downhill speed( I set cruise for 5-10 below posted / safe speed and only manually intervene when engine speed gets to rev too high for too long)?

I am planning on getting the brakes looked at before the weekend due to the announced brake safety inspection blitz since my PM is due anyway.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Most likely its due to weight transfer between the 2 drive axles during braking. More weight = more braking ability.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Lack of grease in S-Cam tubes can cause premature brake shoe wear.

7. Commuter69

Jul 2, 2014
    Update.... boy I am glad I convinced the boss that we should do the PM earlier than planned just to get the brakes checked in advance of the DOT brake blitz.... I wanted to be wrong about needing them, but more importantly, I needed to be SURE as it's easier to deal with on our terms than to be told to do it by someone with a badge and have to pay for a tow or road call before continuing.

Turns out that, I needed all 6 brakes redone due to wear, remember that the steer axle and the front drive were original to the truck with 312xxx miles on them? Since the rear drives were already done 93xxx miles ago, we were shocked at the difference, this was never explained to us.

In order to pass DOT inspection, we also needed to replace 6 tires(both steers, 2 drives, and 2 trailer). Needless to say that this week cost us $$, but it could have been worse if I had an official inspection....

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.