Braking distance

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rain1111, Oct 1, 2008.

1. rain1111

rain1111 Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Russell Pa
    At 32 mph, what is the stopping distance of a fully loaded tanker truck, need this info for court, no accident involved just a ticket for going through a yellow light. Would like to know feet or yards. it was dry pavement on level ground. Thank-you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. witchwaywest

witchwaywest Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    About 100 feet at 30mph.Add surge and smooth bore tank,a little more.55 mph about 450.Brake condition and adjustment could make for longer stopping distance.Don't equate braking distance with stopping distance.Braking distance is once their applied,stopping distance takes into account perception,reaction time and brake lag.

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    With all the city driving we do we've had to go through a few yellow lights ourselves. I would tell the judge that you tried to stop but then realized it would have been unsafe to do so and that's why you went through the yellow. And then say besides that, if I did stop I would have been in the middle of the intersection. I think you can beat this one. Let us know.

5. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    another angle beyond the I couldn't stop in time...

is to mention you weren't driving at the "speed limit" but were driving slower than the posted limit.

This aggrevated the "stale green" situation because the yellow light was timed to stay on, "only" long enough to allow traffic to clear the intersection, if they were traveling at full speed.

It took me longer to clear the intersection because I was traveling 10 miles per hour slower than the posted maximum.

additionally, I was watching the lights intently and it was clearly "still" yellow as I passed under the signal.

I don't want to argue against the officer that the light possibly turned red before I fully cleared the intersection but it was definately still yellow when I reached the other side and the opposing traffic's green light had not come on yet. I know because I was scanning the intersection visually.

there is a delay built into the timers, the instant mine turns red does not trip the opposing traffic to green, this for added safety.

I knew this and took it into account versus the danger and possible jack-knife of attempting an abrupt and unwarranted emergency stop.

blah blah... wife and kids at home... mortgage due... safe record... ect ect...

6. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    This is so true.. Even for a Van there are many stop lights that you can not get stopped in time due to the yellow being so short, even if you were doing the legal speed limit..

I had a buddy who was telling me one time that he was pulled over running a light, it changed red as he was going under it.... He was heavy (flatbed) and the light change. He felt the surge after he applied the break and knew he was not going to get it stopped, He went on threw the light and a bunch of old people was standing on the corner, he said the old people was waving at the cop and pointing at him... The cop pulled him over but did not give him a ticket... The cop said he understood how hard it is at that light and juts try to take it easy next time going threw there.. He said he had to do something with all the old people pointing at him..

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Here's a tip next time you're around the signal lights. Look for the crosswalk sign that is facing you. Look to see if it is green and says walk or has the little picture of a person walking. Look to see if it's yellow and blinking. Most times they will blink about 10 to 12 times before the traffic signal turns yellow. If it's green then your attention can be focused on traffic knowing the light will stay green for you. If it's blinking then you know the light is about to change.

im6under Thanks this.
  8. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I knew that, thankx to my trainer... :biggrin_25525:

locally 13 blinks then it stays solid red for 9 seconds before the traffic light goes...

9. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    How about this one ? I was driving a single axle day cab on a 4 lane city street in Norcross GA . It was raining so I was driving under the speed limit . A cop passed me just before the light ahead of us turned red . I was still behind the cop and when I applied the braes the truck started to fishtail . There must have been oil on the road . I had to get off the brake to correct the skid and ended up halfway in the intersection . Not wanting to back up with traffic pulling up to the light and no traffic near the intersection I pulled ahead through it . The cop stopped me . He looked at my tires and brakes which were fine then gave me a ticket . Stuff happens .

10. ducridernat

ducridernat Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Somewhere, PA

I never heard of anyone getting a ticket for running a yellow light, just for allegedly running a red light.

11. p51bombay

p51bombay Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Blaine, WA
    This wont give you the nunmbers you are looking for but still very interesting stuff to see. (tip:click "watch in high quality tab below the controls)

Braking Showdown

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.