Brand new newbie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by zany_steverino, Feb 14, 2017.

1. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I would say no more than 5-6 students for 1 teacher. I went to school at Millis and we had 6 students for 1 instructor. We had 3 of us who needed very little help, and had some kind of background with trucking, whIle the other 3 were completely green. Had never seen the inside of a truck lol. Once the instructor realized the 3 of us were advanced he focused all his attention to the other 3. Had it been a class of 6 guys who needed alot of instruction I'm not sure how the instructor could have handled it. I'd say the ideal number would be no more than 4 students per 1 instructor.

Again schooling is there to give you the basics. Figure out how to shift, learn to control the truck and trailer while on the road and be able to put the trailer in the hole for a test. Then when go out with your trainer for the 15,000miles you should learn more of the details about figuring out how your trailer responds to just a lil move of the wheel, and how to handle traffic, taking off ramps, merging, dealing with customers, and securing of the loads. And do all that so then your 1st day in your own truck about 15 things come up that never came up while in your trainers truck for 15,000 miles lol. Doing this job over and over every day is the best training you can get plain and simple.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I'm from IL also and tested with Millis in Richfield WI. State examiner came right to the school.Took the test on the exact course wed been practicing on for 3 weeks, and when I passed he sent the info in and drove to my home DMV 2 days later and picked up my hard copy of my CDL. That was in Sept of 2015

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No, you have some type of obligation after training. You're an employee on salary until graduation, then you go on driver pay.

5. Highway_Executive

Highway_Executive Light Load Member

Nov 4, 2016
    Chicago
    Is that 15,000 the student is driving or that the truck is moving? at USX it was only 175 hours.

6. Highway_Executive

Nov 4, 2016
    Chicago
    The Illinois DMV went to Wisconsin and tested you?
    Maybe Rohel has a different set up. They wanted to book a appointment at the "South Holland DMV".

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE (Frozen Food Express) has a program where they send you to private school in Chicago, then give you a job when you graduate. They also have a terminal in Chicago which is good place to park the truck when on hometime if you live in or near Chicago.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Don't most of them do something similar? Just wondering why you're singling out Roehl.

9. Highway_Executive

Nov 4, 2016
    Chicago
    Your talking about " Prairie State Community College"?, it's in the south suburbs of Chicago. College is great with their own private police force....Community? corruption, crime, drugs and prostitution. I don't miss being there...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    No it was a WI state examiner that came right to the school. He sent the info over to IL, and I walked into IL DMV 2 days later got my hard copy and left.

Highway_Executive Thanks this.
  11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Student drives 15,000 miles at least. Could be more if trainer doesn't feel your ready yet. Whatever miles the trainer drives has nothing to do with the 15,000 miles requirement

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.