Brand new newbie

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by zany_steverino, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You can't train people by using people who can't drive to begin with. There is no standards in this industry for trainers or training once you get your cdl, it is up to you to learn, and your responsibility to be as good as you can.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl is the only company that has that program. Other companies, you don't get paid until you graduate from their school and start driving. Some will loan you front money, but that has to be paid back through payroll deduction.
    With Roehl, you're a salaried employee from day 1 of their cdl school.

x1Heavy, tscottme and tinytim Thank this.
  4. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    School I went to was 4 weeks. It was right before Christmas so we got a few days off for that, so was really about 3 weeks. Like the others have said the schools only job is to get you your license. Thats it. I got mine and went OTR for a year. It aint easy getting started in this gig, you gotta be mule headed. I'm pretty good at that - lol

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. morpheus

morpheus Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, same thing happened to me at Parker school south of Boston. Trainer took me out up route 24 towards the 24 93 merge and traffic was heavy. I was nervous as #### for the same reason you were. Unreal

6. There has to be a reason that they do this. I can't think of a reasonable answer though.

7. lagging

lagging Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Atlanta Ga
    Try Chatt tech it's a 7 week program nothing rushed I went through I tech program 7 weeks myself and I still needed extra practice something just don't come as natural to one as to others

zany_steverino Thanks this.
  8. I just wanted to update this thread. I was able to get my tuition and books paid through a State program. I do not qualify for Federal Financial Aid as I already have my BA degree.

I had to take a series of tests in order to qualify for the State program through the USDOL. I was very nervous about taking this test, as I have not taken any sort of tests regarding education in several years. The examiner had to be in her early 90's (very nice lady - reminded me of a close friend's grandmother) and she helped calm my nerves down a bit.

I scored the highest you can score on all tests given, and apparently I am qualified to be a humanitarian scientist - the closest "fit" for what I already know, my innate ability and my interests as well as my skills. I have the finger dexterity of a brain surgeon ...

The results absolutely blew away the examiner - she is a USDOL Officer and wanted to know exactly how I was able to score so high and conducted what I would call an "informal" interview. I told her about my educational background, etc. She told me that every professional match result that came back were all in high level scientific fields. She asked me why I wanted to be a CDL driver and I told her it was because college professors are getting paid less than a pet sitter - that I want to further my education with an advanced degree but I no longer qualify for Federal Financial Aid. That the downtime I would have as an OTR driver would give me time to study for the GRE or Praxis exams depending on which program I chose to enroll in.

The long and short of it was I am apparently not as stupid as I thought I was.

tinytim Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Go hazmat tankers then.

austinmike and zany_steverino Thank this.
  10. PizzaGuy805

PizzaGuy805 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2016
    SE Wisconsin
    With Roehl, you commit to driving for them solo for 120k miles. In return, they pay you $500 a week during class with lodging and lunch provided by Roehl, and breakfast at the hotel. On your own for dinner. After testing out of class and getting CDL, you are paid $90 a day when you are with a trainer, which averages to be approximately 2 weeks long. After that, if you and your trainer feel you are ready, you get routed to your terminal to test out of training and get your own truck. I'm heading up to Appleton on Sunday to start class Monday morning!

austinmike, tscottme and tinytim Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are correct that the posted yellow on black signs are for cars and not for tractor trailers. Certain loads are what we called top heavy and will tip. If a ramp says 25 I would expect to take it around 18 or so depending on situation. We have a ramp off the freeway marked for 30 cars but took it at less than 25 because it is a curve that continues to tighten up and it will try to tip you.

If I took the short course it is to generally break the rust off and it's not bad for me. It's not suitable for me to go into a pure new trucker school because I already know how to back a rig and it will take away a spot from some one who has never backed a rig and need the time and space to do it and learn.

Your fears regarding the size of the bobtail and trailers are pretty common. It's ok to have a fear and respect of large equiptment. At some point in the future you will discover what it is like at 40 ton. That's fun.

Short courses are made for those who have some experience but such as myself been away from it a while. If I had to go, it will be focused more at the hours of service type learning and the elog computer stuff (Which I will never do...) more than anything.

There is no harm in going to a proper school to learn. It's there for you. As far as the training, I would encourage you to take all the time you can with a trainer. Your first year on the road post graduating is the most dangerous time for you. Everything that your future will be or will not be is decided your first year. Usually with your first preventable major accident that gets you fired and soemtimes if a rule is broken or someone is killed/injured you might find yourself in prision or in the court house defending against a lawsuit.

I did not write this to scare you. Most new truckers in the first year have something happen and they are out of the industry at that point. Sometimes they brought it upon themselves. Other times it's not their fault and they get a second chance to run again with someone else. School is wonderful, trainers even more so. It's when you are truly on your own that is when your education really starts.

Good luck!

zany_steverino Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.