Brand new truck caught fire

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by TankerYankerD001, Feb 14, 2018.

1. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    not too many will take on a liability case free of charge. this case/suit can go on for years.

then the law firm/attorney gets a cut, like what one third?

best to just accept the repaired truck, move on. then maybe sell it.

it's like when a person buys a new car. if in a crash, (in 6 months or less) the insurance pays to fix it as it is still new, they most times will not total it. unless it burns down to the ground.

here's proof of what i just said, from his "mouth"..

"Purchased new Freightliner glider 4 1/2 months later parked the weekend "

betcha after 6 months, it would have been a total loss to make repairs.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    ZVar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I've heard of several new Freightliner trucks doing this wire harness fire thing lately..... I'm starting to think this is a bigger issue they're trying to get a handle on!

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No lawyer will take this if they knew what the word glider means.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I have to agree with Ridgeline on this one. I love gliders, and if I buy a new truck, it will be a glider, but you have to admit, it’s a Frankenstein truck.

6. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    God this story is nasty! I have no doubt it could happen. A lot of tricky work goes in to moving everything over from a donor truck.

WTH is someone supposed to do man!? This would immediately bankrupt me overnight. How in the world did you keep making payments on the truck and insurance?

I would have walked, no ran away, from it and went and bought a different truck before my credit caught up and got destroyed. I would have have had zero choice on that.

7. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    See , to me the new trucks are the Frankenstein trucks. Just look under the hood, there is so much crap everywhere you wouldn't know where to start. Very complicated, too much to go wrong, and don't even get me going on the exhaust system.

My gliders are soooooo simple anybody with a bit of mechanical savvy can work on them.. If assembled with care and attention to detail these gliders are way better then any production truck period.

There' is no used parts anywhere, everything is brand new or fully remanufactured. In the end you get a truck that will make you money and stay out of the shop. Regular oil changes and maintenance is all I've done on mine and my 2012 has half million on it now, never been back to shop.

The op just had some freak wierd deal that can happen to any truck. Ive seen lots brand new trucks burn up too.

8. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    As I said above, if I bought a new truck it would be a glider. If one of these new emissions trucks burned to the ground though, you'd have much better luck with with the claim.

You know whoever the builder was and manufacturer were fighting most of this time as to who's fault the fire was.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's called a savings account. Or more specifically in business terms, working capital. Might wanna look into it.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly I'm suprised gliders aren't more common around here. I think yours was one of the few I've seen in real life.

Oxbow and spyder7723 Thank this.
  11. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    There out there, lots of logging trucks in the interior and Vancouver island B.C.

Also seem to be lots out east .

Sure been a great decision for me.!.

Oxbow and spyder7723 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.