Bridge law vs kpra

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by gentleroger, Feb 7, 2019.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Today I heard an instructor tell a new driver that he needed to check his tandem settings to ensure compliance with "bridge law".

I have always heard state tandem setting restrictions referred to as king pin to rear axle, or king pin settings. Bridge law to me is the formula where you can figure out how much you can gross based on number of axles and axle spread.

Can the terms be used interchangeably?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    I hear it all the time here, but no not really. Those two things, while related, are separate.
    And you are correct. Bridge law is the weight formula, while KPRA is the length (if any) restriction on how far back the tandems are.

91B20H8 and gentleroger Thank this.
  4. mindes

mindes Medium Load Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Crestview, Fl
    I've heard them used interchangeably

gentleroger Thanks this.
  5. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    They should not be, but just like people using safe haven when they mean safe parking, it's not likely to change.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    California’s requirements have nothing to do with weight, but rather length and turning ability for trailers longer than 48 feet (KPRA)

Other states in the northeast are concerned with “excess tail swing” on narrow streets and tight corners, with 53 foot trailers

And others are in fact concerned about how much weight is confined to a given distance between axle groups (bridge law). They want to spread the weight across a LONGER distance so as to not have so much concentrated in a short span

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Bean Jr., x1Heavy, jammer910Z and 2 others Thank this.
  7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Many names/terms are used interchangeably by the average joe. Doesnt make them right.

MACK E-6, 91B20H8 and gentleroger Thank this.
  8. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    that use of the bridge law never made sense to me either but its the one that is used the most ...... I kinda hate the red arrows when you need a hole or 2 to scale it legal you are better off keeping the weight legal and violate the bridge law when going over a scale .... better to move it back if you have red arrows when your not going to cross scales because a cop or dot can easily see that

9. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    I've always heard that a state's Bridge Law is the distance from king pin to center of rear tandem axle. I only recently learned why it's called " Bridge Law". It has to do with the bounce of the trailer doing damage to the joints of a bridge. As I underdtand it, the closer the distance between king pin and tandems..the less bounce it creates..which makes sense to me.

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Fun trivia: the distance between groups of axles is the "bridge" referred to in the bridge law. So in that sense, KPRA does refer, sort of, to the "bridge" distance.

REALITY098765 and Omega1 Thank this.
  11. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
    Interesting. Now I'm going to have to do some research...That's how I roll.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.