bridge sign says 13' 6"

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by kaybea, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    My truck. Is 12'3" at the tip of the stacks, company says technically its 12'6". Ok fine, I will go under the aforementioned picture, if its lower than 12'10" ill go around just to be sure

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    Probably ease up on it and look for evidence of contact from previous trucks.

I suspect, without any evidence, clearances marked 13'6" and "low" are low only compared to the new requirement of minimum clearance of 16'.

4. OutOfIdeas

OutOfIdeas Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Gotcha, no wonder I made it [emoji1]

5. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You never trust a clearance sign because you don't know when it was put there. It could be the first sign posted long before the road was repaired with new asphalt. In other words. YOU never know. Either you wait and watch, do some type of measurement, or go around. You can try to get under the bridge very slowly but if you get hung up IT'S your fault and you're going to pay. Regardless of what the sign says you will lose in court and pay for everything. I know from past experience reviewing records the driver is always to blame unless that driver has some very good proof he's in the right. And just because the sign says so will not work.

6. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Let the air out of the tires! Should be good to go then!

7. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They chew up the ashphalt and lay it back to the same dimension in the Midwest under low clearnace. Chicago has also lowered some roadways and not corrected the signs. 79th Street is an example, marked 13'1" and I saw reefers and cans going under.

In the Motor Carrier Atlas, some low clearances for some states are shown to the correct height, Iowa was one of those states. But best to be safe rather than sorry. There are some trailers pushed under the bridges back under the Kennedy and Ryan in Chicagothat would need to be picked up with grapples and hauled on lowboys.

Most signs have leeway of 3 inches or more unless the height is marked 'exactly', then it will be closer. NYC is it's own mess, but watch the traffic and stay off the parkways.

I run all over Chicago with a 13'6" and just watch the signage for less than 13'6" or the 'exactly' 13'6' or 13'5". Some that were marked are now over the statutory height, so there aren't always signs unless it's under about 14' There are some low ones in Evanston.

8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You're right when calling 911 and that's what I always tell them if its not really an emergency.

9. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    Always? Dang patty. How often are you calling 911?

starmac and Floorguy1 Thank this.
  10. j_martell

j_martell Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Centre Wellington, Ontario
    I'm 12'6" to the top of the tallest bin, empty. Rubber block suspension squats a bit when loaded......but our signs are metric..lol. 3.8m or better......

Currently running gravel in 20yd cans, height of the cab.....to the tips of the CB antennas I'm 11'6"

Key is: MEASURE YOUR #### & PAY ATTENTION........i always have a tape in the truck for those "yea, I'm gonna tarp that" loads

11. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Sign says 11'6, once a week, someone tries to take a 13'3" truck under it, apparently comprehension is not good

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.