Broke a dock door latch at a grocery store.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by longhairdontcare, Jul 1, 2018.

1. longhairdontcare

longhairdontcare Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2016
    So the unloader was getting done unloading my truck and I pushed the hydraulic button for the dock plate. Little did I know I was pushing the button for the other dock plate next to the one my truck was in. I heard a pop and out came the lock latch, the lock and the little square box that's on the left of the latch. I told the unloader that I was sorry and can it be fixed he said yes and that was all. He went ahead and raise the door up all the way which was an empty trailer in it. Simply wasn't paying attention. Will I hear about this for my company and get a preventable accident or does this stuff happen all of the time?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    it was about to break and you were the one who instigated it, probably best let the dock workers do them button pushing to not be a easy target.

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Next time, stay away from the buttons. I doubt you will hear anything.

5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
  6. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Didn't your mother tell you not to touch things that don't belong to you?

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I have a strict rule with my drivers, you are not allowed to lock, unlock or open/close the doors on a dock if it is electric.

I was at John Deere supplier in 2009 and I unloaded at the same time as another truck pulled in and he came in, stood there for ten minutes then was so impatient that he decided to take care of the lock and door himself. He sure the hell locked the truck into the dock, he screwed up the locking mechanism and it became frozen. So I got unloaded, I get reloaded and then the forklift girl unlocked my truck and closed the door, I made my delivery which was 40 miles away, pulled into a lot to get my 10 and returned again later after my 10 with that guy still stuck in the dock and pissed off. I got the dock next to him and they told me that when he locked the trailer in, he kept pushing the override button and didn't get that these locks don't beep when it is ready to unload. I was unloaded in 45 minutes, waited another 20 to see if there was anything going back and left. They were going to cut his bumper to get the truck out of the well and then repair the damage to the lock.

8. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    This like taking your kids to the store and you tell before you get out of the car: "Don't touch nothing!"

9. Buster Churry

Buster Churry Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Up The Road
    They cost 8.88 @ Home Depot. 10 minutes to change it. It’s not worth their trouble to make a fuss over it. Sleep easy now.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Everyplace is different. Some places that I frequented expected drivers to do the ramp and the trailer lock, while others didn't allow drivers to touch anything. The biggest problem I have at some places are the automatic roll up doors. They get tweaked and stuck sometimes, usually from fork drivers banging pallets into them..

11. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I know how to operate most all of the doors where I frequent, but I leave that to the dock personal. I do not want any issues with any of them, if they break it, it is on them. Besides, most places I frequent will not let you anywhere near the dock or loading area, many times they have us behind a cage, like we are animals. I guess for their safety, as those places usually have a bad attitude towards truck drivers. ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.