Broke but want to drive truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Pghnerd, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Pghnerd

Pghnerd Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2017
    I want so badly to get in the field. I've looked into schools. I live about 30 miles south of Pittsburgh. I have no money. I realize I may be able to get financial aide (still owe from many years ago) but that would only concern school. I would need housing while in school, transportation to class and food of course. Do I have ANY options? Any direction would really be appreciated.

moloko Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Many trucking companies hire right off the street if you pass back ground, drug, legal record, etc. They put in their own cdl school. You stay at their school or in the nearby hotel. Then you are bound to work for them a year.

Pghnerd Thanks this.
  4. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Go to your local unemployment office and ask them for help. Here in Ohio it is called the WIA program where they pay you to go back to school to be re-trained.

5. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Gawd forbid, but......C R England and Swift will train you and house you, not sure about feeding you though. They'll get you to their facility's by bus. You gotta stay with them at really cheap rates till you pay them back. On the plus side, you got free housing having a sleeper truck.

Pghnerd Thanks this.
  6. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

your in what sounds like a bad situation. are you really looking for a job or a quick paycheck?

whats your driving record look like? employment history? are you an alcoholic or on drugs?

go to a trucking company for school, you'll be grilled and if you lie. your gone.

go to the state, waste every ones time and money to find out you don't want to truck?

your options are endless. hope you pick the right one.

Airborne, Ruthless and Pghnerd Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Roehl Transport in Besalem,PA is a good option if you can pass a hair follicle drug test. They pay the cdl student $500.00 weekly while attending classes plus meals & lodging.

All trucking company schools provide transportation, usually by bus, from your city to the school plus meals & lodging.
    Here's some more to consider & apply to as many as you like, then take whichever offer you like best:
    Contract Freighters Inc. (www.cfidrive.com) - Joplin,Missouri
    Jim Palmer Trucking - Missoula,Montana
    Jones Bros. Trucking - Missoula,Montana
    Celadon - several locations

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Pghnerd, Jimmy Hoffa and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  8. Pghnerd

Pghnerd Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2017
    I actually have a pretty solid employment history. I used to work in IT. Since then, yes I'm a recovering addict, but have almost a year clean. I always want to drive truck and love to see the country. I'm working dumb little jobs for now. It's hard to get better without transportation. Just seems like the right time to make a move. So the answer to the first question is yes, I am in a bad situation but no, that's not my motivation for this career choice.

9. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  10. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I was about to suggest that.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Pgt doesn't have acdl school, but they do take students with their cdl

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.