Broke Down 69...The Adventure Continues

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Broke Down 69, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    That is an excellent question. My answer to that is because I was told to. Making sense is not required.

Airborne, Bud A., rank and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I worked for an O/O who had about 12 trucks, and probably 25-30 flatbed trailers. We were the in house carrier for IKO, in Chicago, 65th, and Central, just south of Midway airport.. The only time a shingle load got tarped, is when they loaded one of 2 curtainwall trailers he had. Otherwise, a strap over each set of pallets, and go.

Airborne, Lepton1 and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  4. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Fair enough. Truth is In the last ten years, I think I have only tarped a few roofing loads and then only because they had roll stock.

Hey, as long as they pay for the tarp.

Here is something to watch out for. while we did not do a lot of broker loads, they will toss that tarp in on you. The product does not need a tarp, and the receiver really does not want it tarped

Bud A., Lepton1 and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

That's why your call before you tarp

6. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Verry true.

unless its going to Home Depot or Lowes DC.
    only make the appointment, never ask if it needs tarp, the answer will always be yes no matter what it is.

Lepton1 and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  7. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I wonder how many brokers collect a tarping fee and never pass it on to the owner operator?

You know, telling the owner operator the rate con is an all in rate which includes the tarping, yet holding back the tarping charge for themselves.

Also, I have a friend who does flatbedding. He told me that a lot of times he's told he HAS to tarp, only to watch other drivers throw straps and drive off while he's like Broken Down 69er holding on for dear life tarping his load.

8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Ask poor@ Dye Guardian about tarping
    He runs a B Train in Canada

9. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    The answer I always got was They want the paper they are wrapped in to stay intact. Some years back I tarped a partial load of steel that HAD to be tarped, only to watch the reciever set the bundle in an fairly deep mud puddle. A couple days later we were informed that there was a damage claim being filed because "The load got wet". Funny how those claims go away when you forward pictures to the shipper of the shippers steel in a puddle of water. I still remember to this day that it was a bundle of three rods each about 5" in diameter and about 5' long. The shipper had the name of the receiver and Po # written in chalk on the top rod. I took a picture after the forklift guy unloaded me and drove off of that bundle where all you could see was half of the bottom rods sticking out of the water and the receiver name and Po# plain as day still on the top rod.

Airborne, Bud A., Lepton1 and 6 others Thank this.
  10. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    We haul shingles for two different manufactures. One requires tarps during the winter months, reason is to keep the salt and grime off the product. The other manufacturer does not care, strap and go. We also, very rarely anymore, move galvanized steel coils for a ditch pipe manufacturer. I'll never forget the first load we did for them, those coils had to be wrapped so pretty. Get the customers yard in PA rainy cold December day forklift operator comes out signs our BOL's picks up the three coils drives over and sets them right in the gravel lot in the rain and drives back into the building. I literally just stood there a minute and thought you @**, do you know what I went through to ensure I met all the "tarping" requirements! I learned a good lesson that day!

Airborne and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  11. dclerici1

dclerici1 Medium Load Member

Aug 1, 2012
    MISSOURI
    GAF here wants tarpped loads in 100 degree August for Home Depot.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.