Broke down in San Antonio Texas. Need help and advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Coach Dee, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Coach Dee

Coach Dee Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2019
    I am in a very bad predicament. I am an owner operator from Detroit, Mi. I am under a flatbed load going to Miami. My trailer is in the yard of the first repair shop that I was towed to. I need to move my trailer out of their yard so my broker can get the load off.
    I was informed I need a whole new engine and don't have the funds. I would like to get my tractor and trailer back to Michigan to my mechanic, but am very limited on funds.
    If you can help with moving the trailer, and /or advice, I am in desperate need.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    I take it this is how a oo goes out of business. I couldn't imagine going otr in my own rig without the funds to cover something like this. Maybe local but otr?

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    what is happened with your engine?

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Sell off your trailer if it’s even worth anything.. Tractor too.

Start over as a company driver.

6. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I would go to dealer and buy a truck.... and I would sell it to local guys..

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Tx Countryboy

Tx Countryboy Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2019
    Some tow companies won't let trailers be moved unless tow bill is paid

truckdriver31 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  8. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    How is he gonna buy a truck if he can't fix this one or get it home????

9. Tx Countryboy

Sep 18, 2019
    FlaSwampRat Thanks this.
  10. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Another “owner operator” with no maintenance fund or emergency fund. Hard lesson to learn, put money away for maintenance and an emergency fund first, then pay the bills. If you can’t afford to do that, you have no business being in business, period.

11. Bamrbaker

Bamrbaker Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2019
    Texas
    Although all these replies are true, I feel bad for you and won't kick you in the sacks more than you already have been by a blown engine. You've probably already figured out the rest about the capital and everything else. I wish you luck. If you believe in God it will work out the way it should even when it seems bad, I can personally attest to that. But if someone is reading this that's thinking of going O/O, this stuff happens and you can learn here. I had all new equipment for a hotshot rig and still ended up with $3500 in maintenance and fuel (Upgraded trailer tires that kept blowing/ oil change) before I ever got a check. And that's not even a Class 8 rig. That was my second month in business. At least a high limit credit card for emergencies is needed. And please remember cash flow IS NOT the same as working capital. Exclamation point. I have an uncle that always brags about his 50k a month cash flow from a used car lot. But his computer went dead and he had to borrow money to get a new one. Rolling eyes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.