Broke down in San Antonio Texas. Need help and advice

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Coach Dee, Oct 25, 2019.

1. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Just for the record, I appreciate you and mhyn very much. This site needs more just like you two. The rest? Not even a little bit.

Oxbow, wore out, mhyn and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    You will have to pay the tow bill and daily storage to move the trailer out of the lot, hopefully you can do this.
    Now if you can handle that, go to the closest truck stop and TALK to other drivers, believe it or not this works and we have done it for years, you may even run into an oo that you know. If you have been trucking long enough to have only 4 payments you should already have other oo friends, get on the phone and see if one is in the area, that could move the trailer for you.
    If you don't have any friends in the area, you will be able to find an oo around the truckstop that will move it for you at a fair price.
    I read on here all the time about drivers not wanting to associate or do anything in a truckstop other than fuel and maybe shower, prefering to eat in their trucks and play games or what ever, well they can easily get in the same predicament as you are in with no clue what to do, when something comes up.

I was sitting in vegas once taking a few days off, when a guy came in that had had a wreck, his truck was at the dealer and no charge for it to be there, but his trailer was at the tow companies yard and 150 a day was being tacked on the bill, I dropped my trailer and took his to salt lake city for him. I had never seen this guy before in my life.

I unloaded one time in the LA area and just backed in a hole in Ontario when a friend called me, an ambulance had took him out of his truck in a rest area in Arizona, I put it in the wind and went and found another driver to help get his truck to flag, then switched trailers and delivered his load to Salina kansas dropped and hooked and beat it back to flag, drove the truck right to he hospital and got him, switched trailers and he laid up another day before he took his load on out to Cali. I just charged him for the fuel I burned. And the way it worked he didn't even lose any revenue.
    Believe it or not, truckers will help truckers out, but if a guy insist on isolating himself from other truckers , well he is on his own, when things turn sour.
    Hell I have even loaned an oo a truck for a month before, while he got back up and running.

4. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    Right at the mileage when funds in the bank are a must to stay afloat.

D.Tibbitt, DUNE-T and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Sometimes, but established oo's will make it work one way or the other.
    A few years ago rates had tanked, so I sit at home for a couple of months thinking things would get better, the ba rates out lasted me, so I finally took a load, and dropped a valve, in georgia. It didn't make any noise, just started missing, so I got a room and made some phone calls and located an injector, pulled the valve cover to get the old injector before the cab came to get me and seen the problem, well I was stuck and not really enough money to have it repaired. I just owed 2 more payments on this truck. I made a couple of calls, and my friends started calling other friends, before the day was over a friend that sometimes ran team with his wife in nebraska called and told me they were leaving nebraska bobtailing and would come get me and my truck and haul it back to NM for me. I always pulled a stepdeck, but this one trip had my flat on, so this wouldn't work. An hour or so later another friend called, he was unloading in Florida that day with his rgn, and could come get me and take my truck o his place in IL. I made another call to an oo that lived a couple of hundred miles away and he came got my trailer and took it to his place. I made some more phone calls and when we got my truck safely to il, they took me to St Luis to the airport so I could catch a plane to Alaska and drive a company truck a couple of months.
    All this was arranged in one day, due to knowing people in the business.
    It took a while driving a company truck, but then I flew back to NM and grabbed my other truck and step deck, loaded a bunch of my shop equipment and went got my truck and headed back to Alaska to fix it in my shop.
    Where there is a will there is a way, but without knowing other people in the business, things could have been much different.

Coach Dee, lynchy, Coffey and 5 others Thank this.
  6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It cost me 12k to get out of a similar predicament except the engine did not blow up.
    Towing, truck renting, letting local bozos work on electrical stuff, towing again, finally paying the competent mechanic.
    Jeeeeez, if it happens again I'll leave the whole thing on the side of the road and walk back home where mama is.

Only tow it back home. Never let local bozos work on it. Never!
    Here;
    Initial tow $1500
    Bozos shop $3800 done nothing , burn in hell motherf...
    Truck rental $1200 $ 1500 deposit AIM lease
    2nd 450 mile tow $3600
    Final repair $2000
    Motel $250

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Dave_in_AZ, Coach Dee, Coffey and 3 others Thank this.
  7. rifleman308

rifleman308 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I’m close to Fort Worth now. Email me when you get a chance. Black4143@yahoo.com. Good luck my friend.

8. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    Google truck driver jobs ... sell your equipment to whoever will give you a few dollars for it and start over. Live and learn. Don’t worry about it , it could be worse , You could still be in business.

Western flyer, Coffey, speedyk and 2 others Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
  10. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    At almost 1am what do you think?
    Im sure he is all stressed out as we all would be..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.