Broke down

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Left out and 1 mile away Truck shut off . Turned key on no dash lights or buzzer all other headlights 4 ways etc still working. Checked ecu fuse ok left key in on position wiggled wires to ecm nothing . Went to check fuse panel and suddenly buzzer came on. Started went back to T/S Any ideas ? I don’t know where to start. Worried ecm is on way out. Could it be symptom? Everything working good now no new active codes trying to change bulb to get stored codes now Thanks any ideas at all

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    What model of truck and engine? Did you have any work done to your truck recently?

I'd check the battery cables for any chaffing or a rub through coming out of the battery box. There could be a inline fuse going from the battery's to ecm loosing power.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. SteerTire

SteerTire Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2018
    Behind the wheel
    What kind of truck?

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I just realized Sorry was in a panic 2000 Freightliner Classic 12.7 DDEC lV. Acts like ignition switch unplugged all lights working except dash. Only active code is 46 low ecm battery voltage has been there for years. Also trying to change dash bulb can’t get front cover off. Strange thing is abs light came on right before problem occurred and has done it again just now as Truck is running . Abs light flashed once only. Just replaced front abs harness and other sensors and wires. Have 1 possible bad wire on Power distribution module inside fuse box, don’t know what people is for honestly. Could bad ground on frame near starter/ spring hanger be for ecm only? And starter lights all still work but ignition and dash lights ( ecm ) not work? Thanks to all

7. JohnC123

JohnC123 Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Do you have a battery quick/disconnect shut-off switch?

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Sounds like loosing power supply or possibly ground. I believe the the ABS cycles with the key. There are 4? large wires on the right side of the breaker panel. Are they all hot, key may have to be on. Does the blower motor also cut off at the same time? That is also an ignition on circuit nothing to do with the ECM.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    No

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Everything key on quit I’m not sure about blower motor. Truck is running this morning A/C won’t engage unrelated I’m guessing. Grounds look good wondering about 1 small ground being for ignition/ ecm it’s not loose I’m trying to wiggle ecm and battery wires to replicate E30BEB27-A4E0-4298-A9FB-87AC3340E482.jpeg

11. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Go ahead and take off all batt. conn to clean them with a wire brush watch the 2 small wires they go to ECM then ck it to see if its running like it should?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.