broker charging extra processing fees.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by afterburn25, Oct 27, 2018.

1. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I just accepted a load from a broker. We agreed on a rate of 650. sent in carrier packed with not mention of anything out of the norm. The sent me the rate con and I saw in big bold letters "we charge a $1.00 Processing fee on all loads" checked the rate it said $649. its only $1.00 but find it to be kinda sneaky and seriously whats the dollar for as they are already making money on the load why do they need extra out of my cut?

DSK333 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    When you negotiate with this broker, next time ask for a dollar more, to cover your expenses.
    To be serious I don't know why they do it. Landstar does it also

ramblingman and bryan21384 Thank this.
  4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Landstar. 1.75 every load.

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Write on the rate confirmation that you charge a $5.00 billing fee, and amend the rate to $654.

6. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    yes their is that option i asked for $50 more they weren't in a mood to negotiate at all. Its more of a principal thing with me. If we all just accept things as they are others will do it and it will become a normal thing and will end up going a lot higher then $1.00. or we can all say no to that BS charge and they will be forced to get rid of it when they have a hard time finding trucks. I know will never happen but still. I may haul it anyway being there isnt much else but will think twice before hauling for them again.

DSK333 Thanks this.
  7. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    I should do that poetic justice lol or maybe ill just wait till after load attach it to invoice as a surprise like they surprised me with.

windsmith Thanks this.
  8. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Annnnd that's how they keep getting away with it.

p608 Thanks this.
  9. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    your right it is they know when they have us over a barrel too. just like when loads are in an abundance and rates are competitive we stick it back to them.

10. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    They never have you over a barrel. Your truck, your rules.

Rates might be down for spot market freight right now, but I'm still averaging over $3/mile for dry van freight, $5k/week to the truck and sleeping in my own bed every night. When that dries up, I'll shift to $900/day to the truck, home every night and tolls paid by the broker - basically the same money in my pocket, and that will last until the new year.

You can do the same if you're flexible.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I had one today, they wanted to charge me an access fee. I asked what the hell is an access fee, she said it is to "access our loads". I told her she called me, I didn't call her, so I told her I am charging her $150 so she asked why I said that's the truck owners access fee.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.