Broker is charging fines-receivers fault. What rights do we have?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by aj72941, Aug 23, 2021.

1. aj72941

aj72941 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Short story: Broker is charging fines to us that aren't our fault (caused by the receiver), need to know how to fight them or report them.

Long story just for full disclosure.
    Loaded an order that was set to deliver Friday. My driver arrived at the receiver on site, the lumper service took 2 pallets off the trailer and saw several shifted pallets requiring a re-stack, maybe 7-8 but they stopped counting. Stopped and told our driver we would need to pay to have them re-stacked. He called us and the broker, everyone agreed to have the pallets re-stacked, broker would reimburse us and get it from the customer.

However, the receiver decided they did not want to have the load reworked or reimburse the lumper fee, because the re-stack was projected to take 4-5 hours minimum. The facility manager had the lumper service put the pallets back on our trailer, rejected the load, and told our driver to leave. Driver drove 3 miles off site for 10 hours waiting for a solution until the owner pulled the truck (receiver is night time only) and told the broker to reset the appointment since our drivers are contracted not to work on the weekends, but we would deliver at the next available appt during the week. After several screaming matches they agreed to do so, even added re-consignment pay. Now the shady part.

We come in Monday, they had reset the appointment for 4am and did not tell anyone or resend a new rate confirmation. Now they're yelling at us for missing the delivery and showing us vague emails sent AFTER the driver was instructed to leave the first time that say our DRIVER was the one who refused to pay for the re-stack, told the lumper service to put the pallets back on his trailer and just left, without any instruction from the receiver, which did not happen.

Several more screaming matches we get it worked out with them to redeliver Tuesday night, but they refuse to send a new rate confirmation with the updated time, stop responding to email when I ask for official documentation. Tell them we're not delivering the load based on their emailed update, get more threats, saying we're holding the load hostage, they're going to press charges if we don't deliver, but no rate con.

End up having to call carrier relations. The first girl was incredibly nice, seemed genuinely concerned and wanting to help, but once discovered the load was still in progress, I get the a guy who claims the pallet/load shifting is our drivers fault, they're going to file a claim for the damaged product after its off, and driver/we needed to accept responsibility, refusing to acknowledge the possibility the shipper/receiver may have caused these issues. Finally get a new rate con from him, but now they have a line added that they're allowed to charge the re-stack of the pallets to us.

Their rate con states if we report shipper load and count and send pictures we *may* not be held liable for the re-stack since it could not be inspected, but they're now refusing communication or acknowledging this is on their rate con that they signed. We didn't have any problem getting a new rate con with the re-consignment, but received a huge amount of push-back for one with the new delivery.

Our driver was not allow to inspect the pallets prior to the doors being sealed due to COVID, but the order was secured with two load bars. It looks like they loaded the pallets down either wall and left a huge cap in the center of the trailer, cases of soda. We sent pictures to our insurance company and they agreed to trailer was loaded improperly, barely shrink wrapped, no cushions to prevent them from moving, and there was nothing we could have done to avoid this given the situation.

These guys are being extremely shady and we're positive they're going to deduct the restack from our payment, if not more, after delivery. They're repeatability claiming they're now losing money on the load and their unwillingness to provide the new rate confirmation and adding that line after-the-fact make me believe they're about to try and stick it to us once the load is off our trailer. I've asked for physical and/or verbal confirmation that our rate would not be deducted from what was stated, and they are refusing to answer the question, calls, or emails. The owner does not want to deliver the load now but I told him we have an agreement to do now and need to uphold our end, even if they attempt to screw us afterward.

The lumper facility stated the restack was going to be roughly $30 a pallet, not including the additional time involved. What rights do we have, legally or through the FMSCA handbook, besides filing on their bond for short pay, to prevent them from charging this back to us or charging other fines? (that possible missed delivery from Monday)

We're a small company and lost 2 loads / 2 days because of this, having to pay two drivers to complete it. The unprofessionalism of this broker is something I want to get reported as well.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
  4. aj72941

aj72941 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Only problem we have with TQL is half the time we can't get them to honor detention, but that's case by case depending on which office you're dealing with. TQL is one of our biggest customers, actually enjoy working with them.

Broker is MegaCorp. I worked for another company who refused to haul for them because of short pays and unpaid invoices.
    2nd and last load with them, both were screwed up but the agents on this one are blowing it out of proportion.

But this seems to be an issue every few months with different brokers. The question is specifically about this case, but really looking for knowledge to defend ourselves in future situations.

NavigatorWife and misterG Thank this.
  5. BornRider

BornRider Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2021
  6. aj72941

aj72941 Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2017
    I haven't reached out to them. I thought they were geared more towards small carriers and O/Os. I appreciate the suggestion, I'll look into them in the morning.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Chieftains

Chieftains Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2021
    Hope it works out.
    Bit MegaCorp is a trash broker.
    Always fake loads an cheap freight

NavigatorWife, MOBee and aj72941 Thank this.
  8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What does your contract state? Likely the only recourse is suing them, but if you agreed to the charges in the contract it's an uphill battle.

In any case the only real option is contacting a contract lawyer so you can see what your options are.

Dino soar, NavigatorWife and aj72941 Thank this.
  9. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Train driver to drive according to what’s in trailer . Beverage loads will shift on big bumps ,running over curbs and fast corners. When I did a bunch of coke loads receiver asked me why mine never shift I told him I slowed down on bad roads and there was a extremely rough bridge 10 miles away I slowed down to half the posted speed due to big heave sign posted before bridge. I lose maybe 20 minutes total time but got priority unloading due to load being a easy unload.

RedForeman, NavigatorWife and aj72941 Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wait?

What do you think you are?

a company driver.

ok the first thing is become an OOIDA life member.

Second is learn how to read a contract. Get a lawyer to take the brokers contract and break it down and hand him this scenario.

Third tell your drivers to put on the BOL shipper load and count and have the shipper initial it. Do this on every load that your driver CAN NOT OBSERVE OR SECURE THE LOAD.

an additional note to that, a Bill of Laden aka BOL is the legal document your driver creates, it is for what is call chain of custody for the load and it is really really important. It is NOT shipping documents, that comes from the shipper. This has to be signed by the shipper.

fourth your drivers should compete a load unless they are out of hours. If they don’t work weekends, consider getting other drivers or a floater or get a license and get the work done, you accepted the load, you are responsible for that load getting it delivered. If this was me as a consignee, I would be pissed and would not pay for the load being delivered late for this excuse.

I assume you are either an armchair owner or someone who never been on the road but may have a cdl.

Also the details help a lot, what is the product and so on.

Oh and another thing, get some dunnage bags with the right inflater, for loads like this, you need to use dunnage.

ZVar, JoeyJunk and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  11. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    What you need to do is quit stepping over thousands of dollars trying to get out of paying for a re-stack, and count your blessings that they aren't just rejecting the load period, which would make for an epic mess depending on how far away the shipper was and if they would take their product back.

While you're at it, read this again it's important:
    You want a tippy load, try hauling some bottled water stacked to the ceiling. Or 5 gal bags of milk in cardboard boxes. LOL. Those make canned soft drinks look absolutely solid.

However, it's too late for that. You need to do whatever it takes to get the receiver to accept that load and sign your bills, hopefully with no damage claims. Then sort out who got hurt and whether they get paid. Do that after your truck is off to the races making money on the next loads. As long as you're busy finger pointing not problem solving, the hurt and pain continues. Problem is: you're not smart enough yet to realize the only one getting hurt here, is you. So quit hurting yourself.

For what it's worth, I just checked and I've done 31 loads for MegaCorp over 10 years, out of both their NC (headquarters) and WV offices. The brokers have been great to deal with when setting up loads. They always pay on time and in full, and never had an issue with any of their loads I can recall. In fact I'll call them before some other rando I don't know, posting the same thing for more money. Not saying it didn't go sideways for you this time, just that it's not my experience with them.

Magoo1968, JoeyJunk and baha Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.