Broker on DAT TruckersEdge want us to never drive for Amazon for anyone else

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by makterna, Nov 27, 2021.

1. makterna

makterna Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2021
    I am an owner-operator and was looking for hauls published on DAT TruckersEdge. One was for Amazon but posted by a broker. This broker wants us to sign a contract where we promise to never haul any Amazon loads for any other broker for THREE YEARS or we will have to pay them a prohibiting pentalty. I was looking for one-off hauls, not to start a business relationship for three years... I do understand that they dont want me to be sneaky and bypass them, but they already told me it is for Amazon and this was going to be a one-off load and not the start of some business dependency.

My question is whether this clause seems commonplace and reasonable to you other brokers?

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I would carefully reread whatever that broker sent you. Maybe if you have it in writing you can put it on here for everyone to read and you can delete the broker's name if you like.

Those agreements are about back soliciting their customers, meaning that you can't go to their customer and offer to give them direct Freight and bypass the broker.

No broker can stop you from working for any other broker irregardless of who's Freight they haul.

If the broker is seriously trying to tell you you can't haul Amazon for anyone else then don't work for him. If you really want to haul Amazon Freight just go on to Amazon relay and get set up.

I have had plenty of different Brokers that I have worked for and pulled out of the same facilities for the same customers.

LoneRanger, Avrakotos and makterna Thank this.
  4. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
    Why work under a broker for Amazon when you can work directly for them ….

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Because brokers with Amazon freight pay better than Amazon does directly weirdly. If you want to be micromanaged work with Amazon. They treat carriers like garbage over-ordering trucks to cover their freight then tossing extras aside like it's nothing when the load is on the road. Terrible company.

6. makterna

makterna Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Thank you very much for your response!

I am kind of new and was just looking for the best pay per mile. It was not my intention to sign up with Amazon or any other load boards than TruckersEdge, the only reason why I picked this haul is that it pays good.

Here is the clause:

Confidentiality and No Back Solicitation

Carrier acknowledges and agrees that the names, routes and pricing of the Carriers and other service providers utilized by Broker are confidential information and are in nature a trade secret. Carrier shall not directly contact or solicit rates, bids or service from any underlying Carrier or service provider where 1) the availability of Carrier or service provider to perform such services first became known to Customer as a result of Forwarder’s efforts, or 2) where Customer’s traffic was first tendered to the underlying Carrier or service provider by Forwarder. If Carrier breaches these provisions and “back- solicits” Forwarder’s underlying Carriers and/or service providers, and/or tender traffic to such
    Carriers or service providers, Broker/Forwarder is then entitled, for a period of thirty-six (36) months after the involved traffic first begins to move, to payment from Customer of 40% of the gross revenue per load on any freight so transported by Carrier for any of our accounts together with interest at the rate of twenty (20%) percent per annum and all costs and reasonable legal fees in the event legal proceedings are necessary to collect said amounts. Termination of the relationship between Broker/Forwarder and Customer/Carrier shall not affect the enforceability and applicability of the foregoing provisions of this clause for a period of three years after termination.

7. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Never done a load for Amazon. Always see bad reviews and everyone talks bad about them. If I see it is an amazon load I just pass it over.

TheLoadOut, makterna and alds Thank this.
  8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Terms are always negotiable. But quiet honestly they'll never know if you work directly with Amazon. Amazon ain't gonna tell them and will gladly onboard you to cut costs of paying a broker anything. Anybody can set up direct with Amazon. I would say it's easy but it's actually a bunch of BS and your reward at the end is lots of cheap freight to sift thru.

makterna Thanks this.
  9. Avrakotos

Avrakotos Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2020
    BC
    I wouldnt sign any agreement that prohibits you from working with other brokerages, and if you do you're liable. F that. As a broker we dont want carriers back-soliciting customers, which is understandable. We dont really want carriers sharing info with other brokers either but you cant really do much about it. THis eesm to me a bit unreasonable.

makterna and olddog_newtricks Thank this.
  10. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I have seen how Amazon treats a carrier and it ain't good! However, you can find a game within their game and find runs.

I don't run for them... I am flatbed..... but my friend does...and he has found a niche.

But man oh man do not take any multi drop log distance loads because they can and will alter them and flat out mislead you on purpose IMO. Dress up a load and then change it and if you give it back your carrier score gets dinged and GOOD LUCK getting a human to work it out! And it happens a lot lot lot so it is a constant miscommunications game of stupid illogistics.

I hate them for him. But he has found what he needs from them so....

86scotty and LoneRanger Thank this.
  11. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I haul for Amazon directly/indirectly and I can say for sure Amazon isn’t for the faint of heart. They will mess with you. Treat you like garbage and not care.

But

once in a while they have great paying loads.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.