Broker/Shipper left me stranded for over 24hrs on busy highway.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by M915MOVER, Jun 23, 2022.

1. M915MOVER

M915MOVER Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2021
    I was pulling a load of stacked chassis from Jacksonville FL to TN and developed problems with the trailer. I was not able to continue and was parked on the shoulder safely as possible. I informed my Dispatcher and she passed the information on to the Broker to get roadside service. After waiting from @ 1420 until 2100 with no service. Shut down for the night with my semi rocking all night long with traffic moving at 70+ hoping to make it thru the night. I don't have trailer interchange and couldn't leave the trailer on the road. at @1415 the next day a Garbage truck slammed into the chassis and then into my Rig. Can I hold the Broker or Shipper liable for keeping my on the side of the road?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Are you an o/o with own MC? Why didn't you call yourself for a towing truck?

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    No one kept you on the side of the road but yourself. You could have unhooked the trailer and moved anytime you wanted to, or call a wrecker or roadside service yourself.

Boondock, armo, Socal Xpress and 15 others Thank this.
  5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    You let this go on for 24 hours with no resolution? I assume you're PO?

BTW, Not many lawyers on here. Once finished with law school they usually leave here.

6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Looks like a brand new authority..doing a power only load.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No you can’t, to be exact the garbage truck company can sue you over this.

Did you put out triangles and flares?

Why did you wait for a tow from a broker?

Does your contract with the broker specifically say that they are responsible for recovery from a breakdown?

Did you contact the state police to inform them you were there and ask them to assist you to get you to a safe location?

Nostalgic, wis bang, MOBee and 10 others Thank this.
  8. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
  9. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Who in the actual #### would do this? Why wouldn’t you have it fixed and then bill them, or pull it off the road? What could of been the issue? A wheel seal, tire, brake issue? Maybe buy a set of wrenches and some common sense.

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    "An issue"

Kinda depends on the issue.

Tire... might even be able to limp off road, or make quick call, get it changed

Brake line, cage brake/locking pliers on leaking line., at least you can move.

Their problem, but now its your problem, so solve the problem. And document, that road call woulda been much cheaper than what BOTH you or they are dealing with now

Chassis moved on you? Gonna tip over because you poorly secured, thats 100% on you, so get it done

11. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Just so we're clear, you were broke down on the side of the road for over a day waiting for somebody else to call someone to come rescue you? Was this your truck or a company truck?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.