Brokers want to track me....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Commuter69, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Driver question: I have had brokers wanting to track me by asking me to install a lojack type tracking app on my phone (something law enforcement doesn't even do without a court order). The one time I did comply, it opened up my phone to accept malware without my actual consent, let alone knowledge. My information was completely compromised and I needed to replace my phone. Since this was not a warranty issue, I am still paying for that phone and it's replacement.
    Since then, I have used that experience to respectfully refuse to have MY DEVICES used in that way, as if I were a criminal recently released on parole.
    Is this unreasonable or am I wrong?

Lepton1, MACK E-6 and DSK333 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I just tell them I'll email them daily or they can call at any time to see where I am. If they don't trust me, then why are we working together?

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    That's completely reasonable to me, it's also reasonable if they don't want to give you loads either, well not reasonable but it is their right.

5. Commuter69

Commuter69 Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Their ability to track me has absolutely nothing to do with my ability to deliver on time and arrive in as few pieces as possible(that would be ONE for those playing at home).....

Dark_Majesty_06 and DSK333 Thank this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I can see their side of it. I'm sure drivers lied about where they are and end up delivering late or can't be found and arrive whenever and the receiver is angry cuz broker can't update. In my experience I've been asked by new broker I occasionally haul for to use macro point, I did a couple times, now when I haul for him he says I can just email updates cuz he knows I'm good.
    I didn't have any issues with macro point.

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    At my last job my dispatcher gave me a brokered load and said I had to download the tracking app. So I looked at the download instructions and read the user agreement beginning to end. You give them full access to everything on your phone including address book, facebook friends and even your photo gallery. I told my dispatcher no way, and she said I had to. I told her I quit and would be parking my rig in the short term parking at the nearest airport with the keys inside. She decided to take me off the load, and never asked me to do that again.

8. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Newport, Ar
    If they don’t trust you, you might want to find a new broker.
    Ask them if tracking you is going to get it there any faster, and you want to track them too, turn about is fair play
    Ask if it pays more, and if they will buy you a computer tablet to download this on and pay for internet on it

MACK E-6 and DSK333 Thank this.
  9. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    He told you that because he already KNOWS where you are whether you email him or not.

10. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Else you could maybe get a throwaway Wal-Mart phone and see if that works.

misterG Thanks this.
  11. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Had a very similar experience when I was a company guy too. Mine was a little worse though because they never asked me to do it. They just gave Coyote my cell number and I started getting all of these weird texts thanking me for allowing them access to track me etc etc. I lost my mind! Not cool at all.

RedBeardedT, Lepton1 and SteveScott Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.