Buckeye buddies....hear of THIS?!?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by G13Tomcat, Feb 22, 2017.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Truckers using Columbus field without permission
    by Terri Sullivan

Wednesday, February 22nd 2017

The Cumberland Ridge Blockwatch has been trying to get the problem of semis filling a neighborhood lot taken care of. The issue keeps happening. (WSYX/WTTE)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    VIEW PHOTO GALLERY
    3 photos

COLUMBUS (WSYX/WTTE) — You expect to see semis on a highway -- not parked in a neighborhood.

But people say that's what's happening in their near east side neighborhood.

Even though there are signs warning 'no truck parking' and 'private- tow away zone' on the privately owned dirt field, located at Cassady Avenue and Agler Road, neighbors say large trucks park there regularly.

And they want it stopped.

"Truck stops are usually on highways -- not in residential areas," said S. Yolanda Robinson, president of the Cumberland Ridge Civic Association.

She reached out when her complaints about the trucks hit a road block.

"We've called the city," she said. "We've called the northeast area commission and they're still here."

Eleanora Brown has lived in the neighborhood for 42 years. She stressed the safety concerns of having the lot filled with trucks.

"We don't want our children to walk past and be in danger from truckers that are transient," said Brown.

The land is private property, and has been for sale for years. At one point, the owner put a cable around the property to keep out the trucks and the truckers drove over the cable.

Jim Shriner, owner of Broad and James Towing, says his trucks are out there about once a week. He says it takes an hour to hook up a semi, and it's a lot of time and effort with little return.

"The state has tied our hands to what you can charge," he says. "You can only charge less than half of what we would charge if the truck was broken down out here on the road."

He says it would cost more if police called for the tow. But Larry Mason, the Cumberland Ridge Blockwatch coordinator, says a liaison officer told him their hands are tied because it is private property.

The Columbus City Attorney's Office says they filed complaints about trash and trucks at Cassady and Agler months ago and the property owner cleaned up the area.

But now that the problems have returned, they will ask the court to reopen the case.

@Mike2633 @Bob Dobalina @johndeere4020 @F150Jim .... any of y'all know where this place actually is? I mean seriously, this shiite p's me off. We have nowhere to go, no time to get there, no proper amenities. I'm not even OTR anymore, but still. This just paints us in a BAD LIGHT. The kids are AFRAID of us? Heck, I've been to my kids' schools talking about trucking as a possible profession for them to look into.
    The video wouldn't post, so here's the original link : http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local/truckers-using-columbus-field-without-permission
    Be safe, guys~
    Tom

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    SMH. What else can you do? So many issues in this story. But it's what we as a group have to deal with. They'd really be in for a rude awakening if we could mange to get 50% of the nation's trucks to park for a week. They'd see just what we do and what happens when we don't continue to do it.

So. What's the broader, realistic solution?

Longarm, dca and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^^ BEST answer. I SO agree.

5. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Transient truckers?

dca, G13Tomcat and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Home Depot on W117th up here in C-Town is like a mini truck stop they don't even try to kick them out they have pretty much taken over the entire section of parking lot. Me personally I don't care my self.

Actually there a quite a few places up here in Cleveland self storage places that have truck parking not for like staying over night, but for like parking if your in town and home.

Hell Pizza Hut in my town before it was bull dozed down there was a flatbedder who parked his truck in there lot. Years ago 1999 we had a vacant lot not very far from my house and there was someone with a black Kenworth W900 real pretty truck and an Xtra dry van lease trailer who used to park on that lot. I haven't seen that truck in years it's gone now, but it was goofy because the people using these lots are not parking over night there people who live in town and are home and that black Kenworth stayed parked for a long time and then it moved cross town to another shopping center lot before disappearing.

Usually though around here there are self storage places and yards in the industrial parts of town that have some kind of accommodations.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The ATA needs to run some sort of public information campaign directed to key market mayors and governors. This issue of lack of parking (both long term and short term) is not going away and is only going to get worse as they make more and more areas off limits.

For many decades we've had to listen to the various nature groups say mankind has to stop developing (removing) and encroaching on lands that wildlife need. So wildlife are more important then trucks. That's good to know and makes me feel so much better.

EZ Money, Mike2633 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    You know, the ones that travel the country to work.... Oh wait, that's every OTR driver, ever.

Mike2633 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    must mean job hoppers.......?

Mike2633 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Those places can typically only accommodate tractors only. No trailers, so the problem still exists. And during the winters, they are full of travel trailers and RV's. I know because I've been there done that looking for parking. My tractor is parked at a self-store place right now, in fact but there was barely room among all the other stuff parked outside.

"Drop yards" and dedicated truck parking lots are often available in major metro areas, but they are few in numbers and typically full to the gills.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Cassady and Agler is really close to Columbus Airport
    @G13Tomcat

Longarm and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.