bus carrying Saskatchewan junior hockey team T-boned by semi-multiple fatalities

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by tinytim, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Just released...one family believed their son was deceased since accident occurred. Not the case, he survived and is in hospital.

tinytim and AModelCat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. taodnt

taodnt Light Load Member

May 6, 2017
    North of Green Bay
  4. regen

regen Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2018
    wow

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Trucking industry regulations are a "joke" and need to change before more people die, according to some drivers.

"It's out of control. I really can't describe it, because I'm so frustrated about what is going on in this industry. It's gotta stop," veteran Humboldt truck driver Kim Wylie said...

Wylie and Souster say there are more rules applied to driving a motorcycle than a 60,000-kilogram semi-trailer.

Canadian Trucking Alliance president Steven Laskowski agrees.

The Alliance represents trucking companies across the country. Laskowski said training should be made mandatory. Last year, Ontario became the first province to do so. Truckers there must take 103 hours of training before they get licensed...

"This industry and its standards are a joke," Paska wrote. "I hope this tragedy is the foundation of turning this industry around, because in my opinion, it needs a complete overhaul."

A Saskatchewan Government Insurance official said in an email it strongly recommends drivers attend one of the certified training schools, but it's not mandatory.

SGI is talking to industry representatives about strengthening the training requirements, said the official.

'It's out of control': Humboldt Broncos crash spurs calls for mandatory semi driver training | CBC News

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Every single trucking association has blood on their hands too. They represent the companies, who are desperate to put a warm body behold the wheel. Profit, profit, profit. They never pushed for better qualifications for drivers, only to get their payments from the companies.

CoyoteExpress and not4hire Thank this.
  7. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    I've always thought it's crazy how most schooling or license tests for Class 1 / AZ are done with a lightly loaded if not empty tandem axle trailer and once a person passes they're free to go haul heavy weights (63,500KGS) and they can take those weights anywhere - through the mountains without training. Seems offaly irresponsible.

I know there are credible companies out there that would never hire someone that fresh and turn them loose like that but with the nonsense that happens on the roads these days you can't help but think some of these guys were just handed the keys.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    The go fund me looks like it's going to hit $14 million by the time they shut it down tonight. The average donation has been steadily climbing and is just under $100.00

The social media reaction to this has been phenomenal. Jersey day, sticks out and many other things.

Even though I have absolutely no connection to this crash it's had an impact on me. I can't imagine what it's like for those close to it.

[​IMG]
    'Forever with that team': Man who was one of first to Humboldt Broncos scene gets memorial tattoo | CBC News
    How social media helped Canadians show their support for those grieving the loss of the Humboldt Broncos killed in a terrible crash | The Star
    A tiny community tries to cope with unspeakable tragedy

9. CoyoteExpress

CoyoteExpress Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Carlingford NB Canada
    Oh they was in place as eyewitness????

10. 3noses

3noses Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Clearwater, B.C.
    No, this CBC early report was in fact, not verified. RCMP is doing a reconstruction today with similar vehicles, the whole area is closed to the public, including the airspace above the corner.

CoyoteExpress and tinytim Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.