Buy Canadien Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by linden, Jan 21, 2007.

1. linden

linden Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2006
    What problems or red tape will be encountered buying a truck in Canada and driving it to the U.S. for permanent license? I guess insurance can be bought at the time of purchase. Anyone done this? I plan to pay cash for the truck. No financing problems.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    red tape.........red tape..........you mean, RED TAPE......??

i don't know.............

but i'm sure customs will detain you a while at the border, then you will probably need a VIN check at your state of residence. if the truck is brand spankin' new, much of that red tape will be absent.............

god only knows the dark side of buying used and crossing the border..........

you really mean to say that in this country (USA) you can't find ANY trucks...??

unless your canadian, then you have a reason to buy "up there", but the dollar amount is probably much higher too.........'ey.......??

4. linden

linden Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm shopping for a used truck. I live close to the border, so I want to be able to find the best truck for my money. I'm not a xenophobe, so I don't care where it's been, but what the condition is. Wherever I can get the most truck for the least bucks

5. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Most of the dealers within reasonable range of the border can handle all the cross border paperwork for you, and usually just bring the truck acorss themselves and turn it over to you on the US side. just remember, your speedo may not be calibrated in miles, and there are some other things that apply only on the north side of the border. It may turn out to be cheaper, but check before registering it to make sure that you don't get taxed extra by two separate governments.

6. earthbrown

earthbrown Medium Load Member

May 27, 2006
    I bought a car from canada, I happened to have someone who knew someone who knew someone....who helped me get the paperwork together, for import, then all I had to do was show proof of speedo change to Miles, and was good.....cost me like $200 maybe for the transfer, but i did the speedo myself.

K

7. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Thanks to NAFTA, there are no import duties on vehicles imported from Canada.

All you really need is a letter from the manufacturer stating to what degree the vehicle conforms to US regulations. Since Canadian and US regulations are almost carbon copies of each other, it should be a walk in the park, unless you plan on importing some wierd grey market truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.