Buying 04 Pete 387?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by The Greaseman, Feb 17, 2017.

1. The Greaseman

The Greaseman Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Hi all, I am new to the forum. I've been driving on and off now for about 5 years now. I've been working in the Bakken, doing water, and gravel. I have been toying with the idea of buying my own truck for about a year now. Just the other day a friend who is leaving the business, offered to sell me an 04 Pete 387 he had been using as a car hauler. It has a Caterpillar engine and 12 speed auto shift. Million miles. Wants 9500 beans. The lower is the original, has not been re-done, the guy said it does not use oil.

The problem is that he had just had the cylinder head re-done, but the mechanic installed some sensor incorrectly and now the engine will not start until the head is pulled and the sensor I re-installed.
    Also, prior to this it was sitting in a field for something like 2-3 years. I will get the particulars very soon.

My questions are: Is an 04 Pete that is not running worth even 9500, regardless of what anyone says the problem is. And what kind of problems would you expect if it does start to run, since it has been sitting for so long?

Normally I wouldn't touch anything that doesn't run or has been sitting for a long time with a 10 foot pole, and this is both....but I thought I would as for your opinions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    That's a while to be sitting. The question is what is worth to you. You have to figure the money you have to put into it to get it up to working. Now compare it to the price of a working 04 Pete. I do believe you would come out better with a working 04 Pete 387. I hope all goes well for you.

The Greaseman and scottlav46 Thank this.
  4. Bike rider

Bike rider Bobtail Member

Apr 11, 2016
    I work for a used truck dealer and my opinion is that its not worth the money, there are a couple of reasons.
    The 12 speed auto must be a ZF Meritor Freedom, they were the only ones that had 12 speed auto at the time and they were a nightmare, those trucks are worth nothing these days.
    I also think with the engine you could end up spending a big amount of money to get this truck running well, it will be a money pit.

The Greaseman and ibcalm19 Thank this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I agree it sounds like a money pit. Might even have a bridge motor in it.

The Greaseman Thanks this.
  6. Neverready

Neverready Medium Load Member

Jul 24, 2014
    Pocomoke City, Md.
    Drove 2 trucks with the cat bridge motors. 1 a w900 18spd trans 3:55 rears. The T 800 10 speed unknown rear ratio. Both struggled to get 5mpg doing the same work and routes as with a previous w900 with a 60 series Detroit 10 speed, 370 rears at 6.1 mpg. So if it is a bridge motor you may have added fuel costs.

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Expect to spend some $$$. Count on a minimum of all new tires if its been sitting outdoors. No overhaul on 1 mil count on it needing that in the next 100-200k. Autoshift = junk IMHO. I think a guy could find something better.

8. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Yeah that's normal mpg's for a bridge motor. Of course $4,000 will unbridge it but who wants to spend unnecessarily right? I would look for another truck.

9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    I'm with everyone else here, it sounds like a money pit. There are probably many other early 00's 387's out there with better motors (like a MBN or 6NZ) and need less work.

10. The Greaseman

The Greaseman Bobtail Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Not to sounds like a total noob, but what is a bridge motor?

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    It "bridged" emission standards. They were the engine between the ones with no emission equipment and the one's that had some form of NOx reduction equipment. Cat prefix was MBN I believe. Not a terrible engine but they certainly aren't the best. I know a few guys who've had them and most of them broke at least 1 rocker arm over the lifespan they ran them. EGT's run on the high side and they had issues with them derating on hard pulls. Not sure if I'm allowed to say how the derate issue was "fixed" though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.