Buying a 2nd truck with no driver

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dztruck, Mar 1, 2021.

1. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Not a bad idea. But my current truck’s interior is kinda rough. I dont think its nice or comfortable enough for a driver to want to live in. Its got tons of new mechanical parts. Plus trusting a stranger with my one and only truck is scary too.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    If you have decent local work then interior isn’t a huge deal. You must see trucks as a tool and a means to get jobs done. Your truck is no longer your baby.

I’m just saying... find a driver, buy a second truck while your looking for a 2nd driver. This is much better then buying a truck and then looking for a driver. This process could take a long time so it’s important to have it in place out of the gate.

Ive done this before, trust me. Owning trucks is something different then driving trucks. You can do it man. Think about your family. I tell my son every other day when he wants my attention. Son, give me a minute. We have to be thankful I’m home with you and have to be on my phone or laptop, vs not home and us have no contact at all hardly.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    larry2903, Dino soar, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  4. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    If it’s scary to trust a guy with your one and only truck then why would you trust him with a 2nd?

I get your thought process but the reply alone should answer your own question

I look at it like this
    Unless you have something really good to offer. High pay. New truck or whatever then why would any one good drive a $50,000 truck when they can go to any decent carrier looking for good drivers and most likely have a new or very near new truck

Anyone good will be your competitor and could easily do what you’re doing
    And as mentioned. Anyone bad is a financial nightmare

It’s the same with companies that pay more, you won’t see them advertising as word of mouth will get them the pool of drivers they’re after. Not an ad

Dino soar, Coffey and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  5. DieselDrivinDaddy

DieselDrivinDaddy Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Poconos, PA
    I just made a similar move. Bought a 2021 truck to replace my 20 year old Mack. Hired a driver to run the new truck while I kept running the old Mack. Worst case scenario, it didn’t work out with the new driver and I had a brand new truck to run on my own.

Now that I’m confident in the driver sticking around, I bought him a newer truck that’s ready to roll.

Now I have three trucks that are road worthy and ready to make money any day of the week.

If you have steady work for multiple trucks, get out there and make it happen.

6. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    The local work is good for me, but if i have to pay a driver it wont be very profitable. The plan was to have the driver do the regional stuff while i do maybe 3-4 loads a week and home every night. I COULD have him do local, but it wont make either of us much money.

And thanks for the encouragement, a few guys in this thread kinda made me feel like its not a good idea, but if u did it, so can i.

I really dont like driving so much anymore, its not a healthy lifestyle and if i have a means to make money without driving otr, i want to do it.

7. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    My general observation at the truckstops has been no flirting with the drivers, especially around the shower areas.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  8. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    I get what ur saying, but not all good drivers/truckers want to be an O/O. I know plenty who didnt want the headache and sold their truck to drive for a company. And theres a difference between a good driver and a good business minded O/O. Ive always said the driving is the easy part.

I may not have the newer equipment, but there are positives to working for a small company too. I know good drivers who are working pretty bad companies that run them like dogs, i could offer better pay AND better work. Just not a new fancy truck.

larry2903, Dino soar, Coffey and 2 others Thank this.
  9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Have one truck, or have 5 trucks is my opinion. It takes 3-4 to replace your salary.

10. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks man. I went thru the same negativity (which was good) when i made the leap from company man to O/O. Tons of people telling me i would go broke and its not even worth it, but looking back, i am sooooo glad i did it, from the freedom to the money, i am much happier than when i was before. I remember schneider recruiter and his promises lol. But yeah my phone rings all the time with brokers asking if i have trucks available to run. But im only 1 guy. If i had 2, maybe 3, (with good drivers) i think i could do it

11. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Trucks make money, drivers cost money.

Dino soar, Coffey and dztruck Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.