Buying a Dump Truck

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by MacDawg, Dec 17, 2018.

1. MacDawg

MacDawg Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Hi, I'm new here, I'm grain farmer, but I also drive for a few guys in my off season times, and am looking for advice on buying a dump truck. I've been driving part time for a local guy, he have 5 trucking and I fill in when a driver is sick or takes a day off. Last time I drove for him he was talking to me about buying my own truck. I would run with him and he said I'd be getting $85-95 an hour and $105-110 for a truck/pup combo.

I've been doing research and looking at trucks online. I am looking for trucks I should stay away from and trucks that would be a good truck to start with. I will be looking at used at the moment and am open to anything.

I know I want a truck with a tag axle and a 16'+ box. I've driven all of his trucks (Mack with auto, Pete, Freight and International with 8LL's). Any and all advise/help will be appreciated.

1 truck I'm going to go look at this week is a 99 Mack RD688S, truck as a 8LL trans and 340k miles on it and 400hp, looks great in pictures and they are asking $56,000 for it, any advise on this truck or anything problem areas I should look at? My buddy will go with me before making a purchase.

Thanks in advance.

DeadTree Trucking Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DYLAN_131

DYLAN_131 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Be wary of pre-DEF trucks. Reason being is current, upcoming/future emissions regulations. Pre-DEF trucks are starting to get phased out.

As for the truck you mentioned; I recommend having a full inspection done bumper to bumper as well as having someone hook up to the truck and perform a diagnosis including checking/running all codes if any. Try to stay away from cheap scan tools, as they often miss codes or misinterpret codes. Feel free to ask questions.

Happy Holidays!

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  4. MacDawg

MacDawg Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Thanks for the reply Dylan! The truck looks to be extremely clean in the pictures. I was planning on havin a full inspection on it. I'll let ya know how it looks we I see it in person.

Any other trucks I should maybe being looking at?

5. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    You are welcome. I have a few ideas for trucks to look at. But ill need more info.

What are you going to be hauling? What do you want vs. don't want? I will only suggest and discuss trucks I have experience with in order to better assist you.

6. MacDawg

MacDawg Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    I'll be hauling rock/lime/concrete/dirt etc. I want atleast 1 tag axle, manual or auto trans(doesn't matter) steel box. I have all the major brands(Pete, KW, International, Mack, Volvo and Freight) dealer within 20 miles of me, so not picky on brand. I'm looking to spend around $70-75,000 max for a truck.

7. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    Once I get back to my office and do some research I'll write back.

MacDawg Thanks this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Welcome aboard, you came to the right place. I did lot's of dump truck work, drove them all, and I have one 4 letter word for you. MACK!!! I don't know about the 8LL, the 8LL's, if the same one I used were junk. Ford made a good truck with the Louisvilles, not as tough as the Mack, but a bit more civilized, stay away from the others, except KW. I had the 2nd best luck with KW, and there's a bunch around. Mack 1st, KW 2nd. Western Star a good truck too, but may be pricey. Good luck.

9. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
    I disagree always buy pre def. Don't worry about the trucks getting phased out ,ain't gonna happen

brian991219 Thanks this.
  10. MacDawg

MacDawg Bobtail Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Thanks for the reply "semi", which model Mack would you recommend? The 2 Macks I have driven for the local buddy are both 2015 Granite GU713's? with auto trans. His other 3 trucks have 8LL trans and they seem to be fine, and easy to drive

11. DYLAN_131

Nov 21, 2018
    It is up to the buyer. I personally like pre-def trucks the most. However, its hard to be able to accurately predict what the future holds with emissions. I hope pre-def trucks don't get phased out. I like to throw caution to the wind, especially with someone buying their first truck, i think its a safe business move to buy current emissions trucks due to the fact you never know.

DeadTree Trucking Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.