Buying a Freightliner 07, 515 hp 3.58 ratio..Need some tips so I don't get a lemon

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Freightguy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Freightguy

Freightguy Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Buying a Freightliner 07, 500,000 515 hp 3.58 ratio..Need some tips don't wana get a Lemon or a problem with the engine that produces bad mpgs... New at this so take it easy on me lol..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    make them git a copy of ecm report ck 4 fuel mil total mil and over speed

4. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    If it's from a dealer, make a condition of the sale that they take a oil sample and do a blowby test. If it passes both, engine should be good.

5. Freightguy

Jul 27, 2013
    What exactly is the ECM Report?????

6. WorldofTransportation

WorldofTransportation Heavy Load Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Your mother
    Hope you get a good truck... There is no way to tell... a used truck is just that... a used truck.... buyer beware..

snowblind and MNdriver Thank this.
  7. Horse Whisperer

Horse Whisperer Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2013
    An ECM report will show the average MPG for the life of the motor, also any codes that are currently showing... I'm assuming the truck has a 14.0 L Series 60 Detroit... if so, you will want to disable the EGR (pretty simple, and costs about $6.00), if you don't run California... when I made the mod on mine, I was getting 4.5-5.2 mpg... now I get 7.8-8.3 mpg... pretty good return for a $6 investment! If you want to do the mod, I have a Word doc that explains it in grisly detail.

Freightguy Thanks this.
  8. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I just bought an 06 Columbia, with a 470/490 hp Detroit s60 in it. whats the trans on the one your looking at. Make sure on your test drive your planned cruise speed as around 1400 rpms. This is affected by tire size, rear end, and tranny. If tires and trans are right you should be able to go 65 in top gear at 1400 rpm.

As for knowing its not a lemon:

If possible get a dyno test.
    Get a full ECM print out. (will include, mpg over life, idle time, etc.)
    Get an oil sample
    check tires
    get batts tested (can cost you 600+ to replace. Dealer will tell you slow crank is because it has been siting, but batts may be bad. I just found out the hard way)
    really go through every inch of it.
    Get a rig dig report. (cheep investment to make sure u didn't miss anything...this doesn't say you should buy truck, but may give you a reason not to)
    check that odom matches ecm report.
    Check brakes
    Check all fluids. (If any are low, the dealer is lazy and its a sign the truck may have been abused)
    On test drive float for half, double clutch for the other half. Make sure nothing is loose and it shifts tight. make sure it sits all the way in gear when u shift in.
    Check for any body damage (may be the sign of a bigger accident)
    Check overall cleanliness. They may say they will detail it later for you, but a dirty truck is a sign of an abused truck.\

Good luck. Boy I wish i took my own advice. Live and learn right.

9. Freightguy

Jul 27, 2013
    Okay you guys gave some great info I'm going to use... One thing is I'm not clear how to work in an Oil Sample before buying the truck.

Where do I send the oil to?
    How long does it take to come back?
    How common is it to ask for an oil sample?

Another thing is the ECM report.

How can I make sure they are actually printing the report for this truck and not a another.. I know to match up the vin but that is to easy to fake. Do you guys know some tricks to look for?

10. sharecropper

sharecropper Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Mooresville NC
    That's a good post and every buyer should read close.........

The Challenger and Richter Thank this.
  11. Freightguy

Jul 27, 2013
    Can you send me the Doc?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.