Buying a new reefer unit for hauling ice cream.

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by ktrucking, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ktrucking

ktrucking Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Looking to buy a new reefer unit looking for the right model to buy will be transporting ice cream

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You also need to focus just as much on the trailer specs. You need to probably avoid used trailers, too

There are “ice cream specs” for trailers apart from the unit.

magoo68 and DTP Thank this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Yes, you need an ice cream spec unit.
    As far as engines go. They both put out maximum 68000 btu of cooling. Carrier uses 6 cylinder compressor tk uses 4 cyl. Carrier weighs 175 pounds less, and is a bit louder. Price is probably about the same.
    I have a trailer with ice cream spec and a carrier 7500 x4 unit. (Great dane). It serves me well, I would buy another. Look around frozen customers, most of them use carrier as well. If I didn't do frozen a lot and was more produce/meat/ less demanding for the unit, I would have went thermo king.
    Don't forget to plug the drain holes when doing frozen.

Ryan423, BoostedTeg, DTP and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. DTP

DTP Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2014
    As the others have said, I wouldn’t buy just any conventional reefer for ice cream. I only hauled ice cream a few times but if I remember right I had to run the unit at -30. So it’ll definitely work the unit much more than hauling produce, milk, etc.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Bottom line is you want high capacity units with ability to cool down rapidly and deep, and want as much R value you can get in all 6 sides of the trailer. Trailers lose R value with age.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Instead of asking in the new driver's forum, maybe calling a dealer who deals with this may be helpful.

Just a thought.

Hitman Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    He probably did and was left almost dead of sticker shock, and hoped he could come here discover you can haul ice cream on the cheap, long term and without any issues and no doubt someone will come along and say just that.

9. Hitman

Hitman Mr. Gamer

Sep 5, 2006
    Tioga, PA
    Or post his question here....Refrigerated Trucking Forum

10. thelushlarry

thelushlarry Road Train Member

Jan 9, 2012
    glasgow ky
    I had a thought once but I forgot it!

11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Having hauled reefer for around 5 years have gotten to know that some trailers are only designed for refrigerated work unfortunately dispatchers don't bother checking this and send you off to pick up a load of frozen goods only to find its near impossible to get the thing down to the specified temp i spent about 5 hours one hot afternoon in the Oklahoma panhandle trying to get my reefer down to the allowable temp before i was allowed to leave finally had to unhook the trailer which worked wonders temp came down and off i went anyhow make sure the trailer you buy is designed for frozen freight they usually are better insulated and what ever else they do to help keep things super frozen.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.