Buying a Smart Phone

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by zotoa, Dec 16, 2009.

1. zotoa

zotoa Light Load Member

Oct 30, 2009
    CS Co
    Since I was raised BC (before computers), I am totally unfamiliar with the Smart phone. I believe this a combination of a computer, a mp3 player and a cell phone.
    I am confused about how to choose one to use OTR.
    Any advise would be useful.:biggrin_2558:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GadgetKen

GadgetKen Bobtail Member

May 13, 2009
    North Granby, CT
    Suggest get the January 2010 issue of Consumer Reports (six bucks at the news-stand or you could read it for free at your library). It's their annual cellphone issue and it covers just about everything you could think of including smart phones. Been buying this issue for years...

rookietrucker and pinballwizard Thank this.
  4. DozerCowboy

DozerCowboy Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Who is your cellphone provider ? Do you have really big FINGERS? Are you very careful with your gadgets or careless and clumsy ? Scale of 1 - 10 how quick are you to catch on to new things ?

5. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

HTC touch PRO, Motorola Droid or iPhone. Depends on the carrier but I have used many smart phones and these three are the only ones worth the price tag. The Droid is my favorite.

pinballwizard Thanks this.
  6. Lynchmob

Lynchmob Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    *Hijack*
    How are you liking the droid? What's it's functionality compared to the iPhone? (Im an iPhone lover btw)

7. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Road Train Member

The Droid is faster, WAY FASTER. It can run many things at once too which is handy. There aren't as many Droid apps yet but give it a few months.

8. trips74

trips74 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    chicagoland, il
    yes the droid rocks google maps is sweet and yes its basicly a small computer that has a phone as a option. Other then the google maps though not much use for the phone in trucking use in my opion. I got it becaus i was ready for an upgrade and it was out.

9. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    You can get google maps on just about any internet enabled phone. They have a java version. You can even zoom down to streetview and see what a building looks like. Just point the dumb wap broswer that comes with most phones to m.google.com. They have about a half dozen java apps.

10. Trucker45377

Trucker45377 Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I just purchased the Droid .. two main reasons, XM has pissed me off for the last time with their programming changes. Now I can simply stream whatever station I care to listen to and play it through the truck radio, via the 3.5 headset jack.

Secondly, the GPS is also something to see, it automatically goes to street view when the destination is reached, and yer looking at the building. VERY hepful for nighttime chases of addresses.

Now, the learning curve is a ##### .. I need a 12 year old to show me how to use it!

11. skoshi130

skoshi130 Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have the G-1, it was Google's first smart phone and now that Google maps has the update for turn by turn nav. and the fact that stated as some others can now stream internet radio, I will have it with me at least as a back up

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.